Enchilada Style Burritos is an easy to make and delicious meal where piping hot tortillas are stuffed with cheese, sauce, beans and rice, and served with delectable sides. Be sure to try this out if you love Mexican food.
When I first came to United States, my husband and I used to frequently visit Mexican restaurants. The reason for this was, Mexican and Indian cuisines make of similar spices and herbs in their dishes, and as I was a vegetarian then it allowed me to try different items from the menu. I have tried to replicate the enchilada style burrito that I had as the very first Mexican meal here in the U.S. This was served with pica de gallo, salsa, lettuce, sour cream and guacamole. Yes, it is quite a heavy meal. A single enchilada burrito is filling on its own. So the sides are completely optional. I will share the recipes for each side soon.
I have used store bought red enchilada sauce for this recipe. Always taste the sauce and use it as desired.
Serves : 2 enchilada style burritos
Ingredients for Enchilada Style Burritos
Butter / Olive oil – 1/2 tbsp
Onion chopped – 1/2
Black beans – 15 oz or 1 can
Red chile powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Mexican cheese blend – 1 cup
Enchilada Sauce – 1 cup
Homemade Tortillas – 2
For the rice :
Raw rice – 3/4 cup
Green chile / Serrano pepper chopped – 1
Cilantro / coriander leaves chopped – 2 tbsp
Butter / Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Steps to prepare Enchilada Style Burritos
- Prepare the dough for tortillas and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, add butter or oil. Add raw rice and saute till it develops some color, about 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat. This step will impart a nutty flavor to the cooked rice.
- Now add in the green chillis, cilantro and mix. Add the water as per package instructions (for rice) and cook the rice.
- Add in the lemon juice and mix. Keep this aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp of butter or oil in pan. Add onion, pinch of salt and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add in the black beans and red chilli powder. drizzle water and saute it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg. F and then put it on broil mode.
- Divide the tortillas dough into two equal parts. Using a rolling pin, roll them as big as the size of your non-stick pan / tava / griddle.
- Cook the tortilla on one side or until underside develops light golden color and the surface starts to bubble.
- Then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat this for the remaining tortilla
- Place two tortillas in two separate round baking pans.
- Add in the rice prepared at the center followed by the black beans mixture. Now pour the sauce, Mexican cheese blend. Roll it up and place it fold side down.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese.
- Broil in the oven for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and sauce bubbles.
- Remove the burritos from the oven, add sour cream, salsa, lettuce, guacamole if desired.
- Enchilada Style Burrito is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- Also use meat of your choice if desired.
- You can also substitute the rice and black beans by one single black beans rice.
- I have used jasmine rice for this recipe. Use any rice of your choice but see that you saute it first to get the nutty flavor.
- I have used mexican cheese blend that consists of shredded Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Asadero, Queso Blanco. You can use any one cheese or a mixture of all.
- You can use substitute black beans with pinto beans.
- Nicely drain and wash the canned black beans to reduce the sodium.
- If using dried black beans :
- Soak the black beans in water for 3 hours adding little baking soda and drain them. Adding soda makes it cook faster.
- Cook the black beans in pan or pressure cooker for one whistle. Add salt while cooking.
*Click below to save it on Pinterest*