Pita Bread is a very easy to make, soft and delicious flatbread prepared using flour and served with falafel, hummus or even use it in sandwich. You can also bake them into crispy chips. I love using pockets of pita bread for my sandwiches. Homemade pita breads are always much tastier, fresh and flavorful than store bought.
Total preparation time : 3 1/2 hours
Serves : 8 bread
Ingredients for Pita Bread
All purpose flour – 1 cup + 1 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup
Olive oil – 2 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp
Active dry yeast – 1 packet (7g)
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Warm water – 1 cup
Steps to prepare Pita Bread
- In bowl, add warm water, sugar, active dry yeast and 1 cup of flour and mix. Let it sit for about 15 minutes till the yeast activates. This mixture will bubble.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt and 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and stir using wooden spoon / spatula till dough is formed.
- Dust the working surface. Transfer the dough and knead it for atleast 5 to 6 minutes till you get soft, smooth and elastic dough. You can add additional flour while kneading only if the dough sticks to your hand or working surface.
- Coat the bowl with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Transfer the dough to this bowl and turn the dough around so that it is coated with oil. Cover it and keep it in warm place for about 2 hours or until it is doubled.
- Now transfer the dough onto the working surface and lightly pat it to about 1 inch thick flat shape. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Make each pieces into small round ball and sprinkle some flour on top of each ball. Cover this with plastic wrap or kitchen towel and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Dust the working surface. Pat the dough ball flat with your fingers and using rolling pin, roll them to round bread about quarter inch thick. Let each of this round bread rest for about 5 minutes even before cooking it.
- Brush the cast-iron skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil and place it over medium high heat.
- Lay the pita bread and cook till the bottom has some light brown spots for about 2 minutes. Then flip and cook for about 2 minutes on the other side then again flip and cook on original side for 30 seconds. Pita bread will puff up. (Now I had big smile on my face )
- Transfer the cooked pitas on a towel while you cook the remaining pita bread.
- Pita Bread is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
This recipe is inspired by my favorite chef John from foodwishes.
- Leftover pitas can be stored in airtight bag in refrigerator and warm it in microwave just before serving.
- Once the dough is risen, you can refrigerate it and use when needed for about week.
- If the pitas that do not puff then it means the skillet was not hot enough. It’s better you heat it before cooking.