Spicy Garlic Mushroom is a delicious lip smacking recipe prepared in less than 30 minutes. It is a perfect accompaniment for steamed rice, flat breads like naan, roti or any variety of dosa. This can also be served as a side or appetizer with any drink cocktails and mock-tails at your next potluck, game night or super bowl party. The recipe is vegan and gluten free.
Mushroom is one of my favorites and I have at least one or two recipes prepared using mushroom every week. When you want that meaty or earthy feel in your vegan or vegetarian dish, you should always go for mushrooms It was a chicken substitute for me till I turned into non-vegetarian. There are times where I have prepared same masala (gravy) and used half of it with mushrooms for all vegetarians guests and remaining half with chicken for non-vegetarians
This recipe calls for very basic ingredients that one can find in most kitchens. While I admit that the amount of oil given below is slightly more than what I add to other dishes, I still stick with this amount as I feel it is the key ingredient that gives this dish its signature taste. You may vary the spiciness as per your taste. Today I have served this with quick garlic flatbread but most of the times I eat it all alone and I always make a little extra than required as this is one of my favorite mushroom dish, and I almost always start eating even before its to serve.
While you are here, you can also check some of my other favorite mushroom recipes :
- mushroom in garlic butter
- mushroom cheese pasta
- mushroom in garlic cream sauce
- mushroom pizza with caramelized onions
- mushroom butter masala
- mushroom cheddar parmesan muffins
- quick mushroom biryani
- babycorn mushroom ghee roast
- mushroom sukka
- mushroom cheese rice
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 2
Ingredients for Spicy Garlic Mushroom
Mushroom chopped lengthwise – 8 oz
Large onion finely chopped – 1
Vegetable oil – 1 1/2 tsp + 4 tsp
Garlic cloves – 5
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Red chile powder / Cayenne powder – 1 tsp
Red pepper flakes – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves / Cilantro chopped – for garnish
Steps to prepare Spicy Garlic Mushroom
- In a blender or mixer, add 4 tsp of oil, garlic cloves, lemon juice, red chilli powder, pepper flakes and water (approx 2 tbsp) and blend it to form a smooth paste. Do not add too much water.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil into a non-stick pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add onions, salt and saute till they turn translucent about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Now add in the paste prepared above with very little water (again not more than 2 tbsp) and saute it till the raw smell goes off completely for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms, mix well till it gets coated in the mixture and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes till the mushrooms are cooked and oil separates.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Spicy Garlic Mushroom is now ready. Serve and enjoy.
- You can substitute red chilli powder with dry red chilli if desired.
- After adding mushrooms I have cooked first few minutes on medium flame and last 2 minutes on medium high to high flame.
- Do not add in too much water. This tastes best when it is semi dry.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***