Stuffed Artichoke is an easy to make, delicious and flavorful appetizer that you must definitely try whenever artichokes are in season. The stuffing is prepared using bread crumbs, cheese and your favorite spices and herbs. Spring or early summer is the best time to enjoy fresh artichokes.
Artichokes have an earthy flavor and a meaty texture which makes it simply irresistible. You can boil, steam, saute, stuff, fry, prepare a dip or even use them in salads. Fresh artichokes are a good source of folic acid, vitamin C and vitamin K. They are low in fat and calorie, and are also rich in dietary fiber and antioxidants. Do try out this beautiful and tasty recipe for your next dinner, special occasions such as Mother’s day, game nights, weekend party, or other gathering.
While you are here you can also check out other spring recipes like
Preparation time : 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves : 2
Ingredients for Stuffed Artichoke
Artichoke – 1
Lemon juice – 1/2 lemon
For the stuffing:
Bread crumbs – 1/3 cup
Melted butter / Olive oil – 2 1/2 tbsp
Melting cheese – 1 slice
Parmesan grated – 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves / Parsley chopped – 3 strands
Cayenne powder / Red chile powder – 1/4 tsp
Black pepper powder – to taste
Garlic powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt / Garlic salt – a pinch
Steps to prepare Stuffed Artichoke
- Remove the stem (bottom) of artichoke so that it sits flat. Using a scissor, trim the tip of each leaf. Now rub each trimmed edge with lemon juice. Applying lemon juice avoids it from turning brown.
- Choose a pan such that these artichokes fit snugly in the pan. Add water to the pan, so that it is just submerging the base of the artichoke (about 1 inch). Add 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice and salt to taste. Bring it to nice boil on medium-high heat, and then cover and simmer for another 30 minutes on medium-low heat or until the leaves can be pulled of easily
- Carefully remove the artichokes from water and allow it cool down completely.
- While the artichokes are cooling down, preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- Transfer all the ingredients mentioned in ‘For the stuffing’ to a bowl and mix them well.
- Stuff each leaf of the artichoke with the mixture prepared above.
- Place this artichoke in a baking pan where it fits tightly. Add some water about 1/2 inch to bottom of baking pan and cover it with aluminum foil. Bake this for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Stuffed Artichokes are now ready. Serve them warm and enjoy.
- To eat: pull the leaves off the artichoke one at a time. Pull through your teeth to remove the soft and pulpy portion along with the stuffing. Discard the remaining fibrous portion of the leaves
- Once you finish off the leaves, use a spoon and scrape out the hair of the artichoke and there comes the best part. The “heart of the artichoke”. Eat this by dipping in the melted garlic butter sauce and enjoy!.
- The time to cook artichokes may depend on the size. The bigger it is, the longer time it takes.
- You can also use olive oil instead of butter if desired.
- For the stuffing you can add your favorite spices or herbs like parsley, basil, garlic salt, garlic powder….
- I have used seasoned bread crumbs in this recipe.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***