Vegan Coconut Bread is an easy to make flavorful sweet bread topped with yummy vanilla glaze and a garnish of crunchy toasted coconut flakes.
It is Wednesday again! I love baking breads and these days I am even more excited as my readers not only try out the recipe and give good feedback but also tell me that they are waiting for my next bread recipe coming Wednesday. This really makes me feel happy.
South Indians love coconut so much that most of the recipes are coconut based. If you visit my home town you will see that at least one item for breakfast, lunch and dinner will be prepared using coconut. My love for coconut made me prepare this bread today. My husband was fully excited about this as well. The wonderful nutty aroma of toasted coconut while baking is an experience in itself that you should not miss. Honestly the only hard part of this recipe was to wait for the bread to cool down completely before drizzling the glaze and having a slice with our evening tea.
This bread is soft and moist and the glaze and garnish complement the bread so well that that you will enjoy every single bite of it. I have prepared a vegan version. But I have also given few substitutes in the tip section. I hope you guys try out this bread and let me know how it turned out!
Also don’t miss to check out my next post which I am super excited about with my favorite sauce.
Preparation time : 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves : 1 loaf
Ingredients for Vegan Coconut Bread
All purpose flour / Maida – 2 1/2 cup
Baking powder – 3 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Coconut milk – 400 ml (1 can)
Coconut oil – 5 tbsp
Vanilla extract – 1 1/2 tsp
Unsweetened coconut flakes – 1 cup
For the glaze:
Confectioners sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
Coconut milk – 2 tbsp
Unsweetened coconut flakes – 2 tbsp
Steps to prepare Vegan Coconut Bread
Step I(Toast the coconut flakes)
- Toast the unsweetened coconut flakes on a medium flame till it develops golden color.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Grease the baking pan.
Step II(Prepare the batter and bake)
- In a bowl, add all purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, salt, sugar and mix.
- Now add coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract and mix until everything comes together. Do not over mix the batter.
- Fold in the toasted coconut flakes.
- Transfer the batter to a greased loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or until done. That is a toothpick or knife when inserted comes out clean. My oven took exactly 60 minutes to bake this.
- Allow it to cool down completely on a wire rack or pan even before you glaze the bread (atleast 2 hours).
Step III (Prepare the glaze)
- In a bowl, whisk together the confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and coconut milk until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle this on top of the bread and then garnish it with some more toasted coconut flakes.
- Vegan Coconut Bread is ready. Slice and serve. Enjoy.
- You can substitute coconut milk with whole milk.
- You can use butter or vegetable oil instead of coconut oil.
- Also you can toast and add in nuts of your choice.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest ***