Vegetable Kurma is a spicy and delicious dish prepared using vegetables of your choice and aromatic spices. This dish is a perfect accompaniment for Indian breads like naan, roti or any varitiey of dosa. This tastes best even when served with steamed hot rice.
This is one specialty dish that can be found in any buffet food and again you can see it in veg and non-veg version. Non-vegetarians can feel free to add fish or meat of your liking in addition to vegetables. Every region has its own version of kurma / korma but my favorite is the one given below. This is a no fail recipe. Do follow the steps below and you can scale the recipe easily to prepare it for any number of guests and I can guarantee you that it will be a success.
I am not particular on the type of veggies and add whatever is available in my pantry. The key part in this dish is the masala / paste you prepare. Specially sauteing the onions till it becomes translucent and starts turning light golden brown in color. This will definitely enhance the taste of this dish.
Today I have served it with brown rice dosa. This is one of the best combination I have tried so far. Do give this simple recipe a try and share your comments and variations.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
Ingredients for Vegetable Kurma
Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
Cardamom seeds – 3
Cloves – 3
Onion roughly chopped – 1
Garlic cloves roughly chopped – 3
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Green chile / Serrano pepper chopped – 1
Grated coconut (fresh / dry) – 1/4 cup
Almonds / Cashews – 3 tbsp
Bay leaf – 1
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Tomato paste – 3 tbsp (optionally add puree of two medium tomatoes)
Carrot chopped – 2
Potato chopped – 2
Cauliflower florets – 25
Green peas (fresh / frozen) – 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chile powder – 1 1/2 tsp (adjust as per your taste)
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Yogurt – 3 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
Steps to prepare Vegetable Kurma
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in non-stick pan. Add cardamom seeds, cloves, onion, garlic, ginger, green chile, pinch of salt and saute it on medium to medium high flame for 6 to 8 minutes till onion becomes translucent and starts turning golden brown in color.
- Transfer these sauteed ingredients to blender along with coconut and almonds and blend it to a smooth paste. Add little water if required. Keep this paste aside.
- In the same pan, add another 1 tbsp of oil and cumin seeds and saute for few seconds. Now add the ground paste, tomato paste, carrots, potatoes, turmeric powder, red chile powder, garam masala powder and little water.
- Once the paste comes to a boil, reduce the flame, cover and simmer it for 10 minutes. You may have to stir it occasionally.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked, add in cauliflower, green peas, yogurt and adjust any spices, if you have to, at this stage.
- Add water if required for desired consistency and bring this to nice boil (about 5 mins). Add coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Vegetable Kurma is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- If you do not have tomato paste. add in one chopped tomatoes, or pureed tomatoes, or tomato ketchup or any tomato sauce.
- You can substitute almonds with cashews in the recipe.
- I have prepared it medium spicy. Adjust the amount of red chile powder as per your taste.
- You can also add in capsicum and green beans if desired.
- You may have to vary the amount of garam massla powder depending on how strong or mild it is.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***