Garlic Butter Shrimp or Prawns Butter Garlic is super easy to make dish for any meal - with an amazing flavor combination of garlic, butter, and a hint of lime (lemon). This recipe is ready in less than 25 minutes. Today I have served it with Avocado Flatbread.
Shrimp with garlic butter can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or even use it as a sauce to toss it with pasta. In short, this can be served over anything and everything. A crowd-pleaser lunch or dinner recipe for weeknight or weekend.
This shrimp side dish or appetizer canalso be a great accompaniment for upcoming tailgating events, football party, or game nights or potluck or Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas holiday parties for all seafood lovers.
What is the difference between shrimp and prawns?
A lot of people ask me this question every time I visit India. From my understanding what we call prawns in India is called shrimp in the United States. The one from freshwater is called prawns. I feel the shrimp in the United States is meatier and sweet and also bigger in size than the prawns that we get or what I eat in my hometown in India.
Is it healthy to eat shrimp or prawns?
Definitely yes. Shrimp or prawns are a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. The calories and fat in seafood are also less than meat like chicken, pork, lamb, and beef.
How do you make garlic butter from scratch?
In a pan on medium flame, melt the butter. Add garlic cloves and saute till it turns light golden and becomes fragrant. Next add lime juice and its zest, cayenne powder, some fresh herbs like parsley, and stock (vegetable or meat, of your choice) and simmer to let it reduce to half. You can now toss your favorite seafood, meat, pasta, or use it in any salad or dip for slices of bread and flatbread.
What other recipes can garlic butter or butter garlic be used for?
You can use this on top of steak or any other meat, toss it with pasta, or serve it with flatbreads like avocado flatbread or use it in stir fry vegetables. Some of my other favorite recipes with garlic butter are
How to cook shrimp or prawns perfectly?
After the butter or oil you have added is melted and heated, add the shrimp or prawns and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side flipping once midway. Depending on the size of the pan and the amount of shrimp you add in the recipe this may take 5 to 6 minutes. This is on medium-high flame.
Shrimp cooks very quickly. So once you add shrimp to the pan, see that you don't take your eyes off. Perfectly cooked shrimp will be pink in color, C shaped and tails are red, the flesh is opaque. If shrimp is bright white in color forming a round shape means you have overcooked and shrimp, in this case, will be rubbery. Undercooked shrimp will be straight in shape.
What is the best way to cook garlic without burning?
The highlight of this dish or my popular broccoli garlic pasta is the flavor that comes out of garlic. It is very important that this step is done right. Since the garlic is chopped finely or minced, it can burn easily. The best tip is to cook slow, that is on medium to medium-low flame, be patient, don't take off your eyes.
Just when it turns light golden in color, you turn off heat always to avoid it from cooking further or immediately add the next ingredient that is called in the recipe. Heavy bottomed pans or cast iron pans are the best. Depending on the size of the pan and the number of garlic cloves you add, cooking time for garlic to turn light golden to a golden brown is 2 to 5 minutes.
Detailed recipe for Garlic Butter Shrimp or Prawns Butter Garlic
GARLIC BUTTER SHRIMP | PRAWNS BUTTER GARLIC
- 12 oz Shrimp or Prawns, peeled, deveined, tail on
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper powder
Ingredients for Garlic butter Sauce
- 8 to 10 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne powder or Red chile powder
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- Zest of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 tablespoon Parsley or Cilantro (Coariander leaves), finely chopped
- ¼ cup chicken stock or any stock of your choice (check tips)
- In a cast iron skillet on medium heat melt 2 tablespoon butter. Add salt and black pepper powder.
- Then cook the shrimp for about a minute or two on each side or until it curls up and turns pink. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet on medium flame, melt 4 tablespoon of butter.
- Then add chopped garlic, and saute until garlic turns light brown and fragrant. This should take anywhere between 2 to 5 minutes in medium or medium-low flame.
- Next add salt, cayenne, zest of lime, lime juice, parsley, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and let it reduce to half.
- Add the cooked shrimp and mix until well coated in the garlic butter sauce.
- Garlic Butter Shrimp is ready. Serve with lime wedges and finely chopped parsley. I have served it with avocado flatbread
- Feel free to substitute cayenne with chili powder
- You can use a chicken bouillon with ¼ cup of water instead of chicken stock.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***