White Beans Rassa is watery curry prepared using lot of spices and White Beans.This is very easy to make and flavorful. I have served it with Kobha Rotti. You can serve it along with plain rice or any Indian flatbread for lunch/ dinner.
Non vegetarian can substitute white beans with chicken or mutton. Vegetarians can add potatoes along with the white beans.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3
Ingredients for White Beans Rassa
White Beans /White Rajma - 16 oz ( 1 can)
Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cardamom seeds - 4
Cinnamon stick ¼ inch
Coconut dry and grated - ⅓ cup
Garlic cloves - 5
Ginger - 1 inch
Big Onion chopped - 1
Fenugreek/Methi seeds - ⅛ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli - 5
Tamarind - 1 inch piece
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - ⅛ tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Tomato Ketchup - 1 tbsp
Water - 3 cups
Salt to taste
Steps to prepare the White Beans Rassa
- In a large pan on medium heat add oil, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and saute until fragrant (about 2-3 mins).
- Then add red chilli, tamarind, fenugreek seeds, garlic, ginger and grated dry coconut and saute until coconut develops a light brown color.
- Next add the onions and continue to saute until it is light brown (approx 5 mins) and switch off the flame.
- Once the mixture is slightly cooled down blend it in a mixer using about 2 cups of water until you get a smooth paste.
- Transfer this to non-stick pan, add white beans, ketchup, salt to taste and bring it to nice boil (approx 10 minutes).
- White Beans Rassa is now ready. Serve it hot and enjoy.
- Vary The spices as per your taste.
- Use any beans of your choice (kidney beans, black beans, lima beans, etc.)