Homemade Badam Milk | Almond Milk is popular and rich, creamy and flavorful Indian recipe where almonds are combined with milk and flavored with saffron (kesar) and cardamom.
Today I have served almond milk with phenori or chiroti - South Indian pastry. One of the best dessert or sweet to try this Diwali, Navratri or holiday season.
"Badam Milk in India is different from Almond Milk in USA (United states), Canada or any western countries. In India, badam milk means whole milk flavored with almonds and spices whereas in western countries almond milk is dairy free vegan substitute for whole milk"
Badam Milk is also known as badam doodh or badam paal or badami haalu in Indian languages.
How to serve Badam Milk (doodh) or Almond milk?
This can be served on daily basis as a tea and coffee substitute, on special occasions like Diwali, Holi, Navratri, and Ram Navami as a welcome drink. I am from coastal region of Karnataka and almond milk or badam milk is served during weddings or special occasions and festivals with phenori or chiroti also known as paal poli, padhir pheni, (these are Indian style pastries soaked in almond milk). This combination is like serving jalebi with rabri or rabdi, rasmalai with sweetened saffron flavored milk or gulab jamun and rasgulla with saffron and cardamom flavored sugar syrup.
Badam milk can also be served with cereals, to make kulfi or ice cream or falooda.
Can I make Badam Milk dairy free or vegan or lactose free?
You can substitute whole milk with water or if you are in United States or western countries with dairy free almond milk and double the amount of almonds.
How to make Badam milk or almond milk from scratch?
Dry roast the almonds or badam on medium flame. Bring 2 cups of milk to boil. Meanwhile blend roasted almonds, cardamom seeds, saffron strands to a fine powder. Depending on the mixer you use you may get coarse or fine powder. You can add little water or milk while blending if needed to get smooth paste. Add this to boiling milk and stir well. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. You can serve this warm or chilled.
Remember, I have not strained the milk as I love to eat those small pieces of almonds. You can strain before serving it as a drink.
I love adding roasted almonds with skin-on as its quick and easy. Traditionally, to make almond milk, almonds are soaked in water for at least 5 hours or for quicker and efficient way add almonds in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain the water. Peel off the skin and roast them on pan till its dry and moisture has evaporated completely. Finally, in a blender or mixer, blend it to powder. You can store this almond powder or badam powder in air tight container for up to months and use as and when required.
Make sure that you grind them in intervals or batches to get fine powder - specially if you are doing in a large quantity - as grinding almonds for a long time will release oil and turns it into paste than powder.
Is badam milk or almond milk healthy? What are its benefits?
It is very tasty, nutritious and protein packed milk, high in calcium and vitamins D and E.
Is badam milk or almond milk good for kids, toddlers, and infants?
Do not give any variety of milk - cows milk, goat milk, buffalo milk, almond milk or soy milk - for your kids till 1 year. Breast milk is always the best.
If your baby is older than 12 months you can definitely give them this drink with reduced amount of sugar. Make sure they are not allergic to any nuts. Its always good to consult a pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Wish you all very happy and prosperous Diwali and Happy Holidays 2020
Diwali is round the corner. Last year I had prepared and shared milk barfi on occasion of Diwali and thank you guys for your overwhelming response. It's the number 1 recipe on my blog now.
This year I am preparing this 2 in 1 Indian dessert or sweet for Diwali. Almond milk (badam milk ) + pehnori or chiroti or balushahi (badusha).
How to serve badam milk and phenori or balushahi (Indian style pastry)
You can make phenori or chiroti sweet ahead of time - say 2 days before diwali - and prepare almond milk on the day you are going to serve this dessert.
Shelf life of phenori or chiroti is 7 days at room temperature in an air tight container and almond or badam milk remains fresh for up to 2 days when refrigerated. So plan accordingly.
In a serving bowl, add one or two phenori or chirotis, pour hot or cold milk, as per your liking, garnish it with some nuts and enjoy.
Detailed recipe for homemade Almond milk | Badam milk
Homemade Almond Milk Or Badam Milk | Chiroti Or Balushahi (Indian Style Pastry) With Almond Milk
- 3 tablespoon Almonds or Badam (around 18 almonds)
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 2 Cardamom seeds
- 6 strands Saffron
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Sugar
- 6 chiroti Chiroti or Phenori (Indian-style pastries)
- Dry roast the almonds or badam on medium flame.3 tablespoon Almonds
- Bring 2 cups of milk to boil in a pan.2 cups Whole milk
- Meanwhile blend roasted almonds (from above), cardamom seeds, saffron threads, and sugar to a fine powder. Depending on the mixer you use you may get a coarse or fine powder. You can add little water or milk while blending if needed to get a smooth paste.2 Cardamom seeds, 6 strands Saffron, 2 to 3 tablespoon Sugar
- Add this to boiling milk and stir well. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. You can serve this warm or chilled.
- If you have time and love to do it the traditional way from scratch, follow the method below: Almonds are soaked in water for at least 5 hours (Or for a quicker and more efficient way, add almonds in boiling water for 2 minutes). Drain the water. Peel off the skin and roast them in a pan till the almonds are dry and moisture has evaporated completely. Finally, in a blender or mixer, blend it to a fine powder. You can store this almond powder or badam powder in an air tight container for up to months and use as and when required.
- Make sure that you grind them in intervals to get fine powder - specially if you are preparing a large batch - as grinding almonds for a long time will release oil and turns them into a paste than powder.
- For better results, always use whole milk.
- Remember, I have not strained the milk as I love to eat those small pieces of almonds. If you prefer, you may strain the milk before serving it as a drink.
- To make it easier and spend time with your family on the day of festival, you can make phenori or chiroti sweet ahead of time - say 2 days before diwali. Prepare almond milk on the day you are going to serve this dessert. Shelf life of phenori or chiroti is 7 days at room temperature in an air tight container. Almond or badam milk remains fresh for up to 2 days when refrigerated. So plan accordingly.
- Vary the amount of sugar, cardamom and saffron to taste as desired.
If you like this Indian sweet or dessert recipe,
Don't miss to check out some of my popular and delicious Indian desserts and sweets to try this festival and holiday season.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***