Uttapam is a very healthy, delicious and popular South-Indian dosa or pancake that tastes the best when served with green coconut chutney. This is vegan and gluten free.
In uttapam, the toppings are added and cooked along with the batter. The popular toppings are onions, carrots, green chilies, ginger and coriander leaves. You can add additional vegetables or spices of your choice.
If you have the dosa batter ready, which I have already shared you can cook and serve this in less than ten minutes.
There are two ways in which the dosa can be prepared. I personally like the first method
- Spread the batter over a hot tava, and then sprinkle the toppings over the batter and cook on both the sides. In this method you will get crispier toppings.
- Mix the veggies (toppings) to the dosa batter and then spread it over hot tava. While this method is quick and easy, in my personal opinion, the grilled (slightly caramelized) toppings of the first method give the dosa its unique flavor.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Serves : 3 medium sized uttapam
Ingredients for Uttapam
Dosa batter - approx. 1 ½ cup
Onion finely chopped - ½ of big onion
Carrot grated - ½
Ginger grated - 1 inch
Green chilies finely chopped - 2
Coriander leaves - 5 strands
Vegetable oil - for cooking uttapam
Step to prepare Uttapam
- In a bowl, add onion, green chilies, carrot, ginger and coriander leaves and mix.
- Heat the tava on medium flame and drizzle/spread oil.
- Once the tava is hot, pour laddle full of batter at the center of tava and using back of the laddle lightly spread. This dosa should be thick.
- Now sprinkle the toppings. drizzle oil around the edges. Cover it with the lid and cook on medium flame.
- Once it becomes golden brown at the bottom, flip and cook on other side on medium-high flame for about one minute.
- Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- Uttapam is now ready. Serve hot with green coconut chutney and enjoy.
- If you find it difficult to handle a big dosa with toppings, you can cook 3 mini dosas at time instead of one.
- Vary the amount of chilies as per your taste.