Batani Usli / Green Peas Sundal is a very healthy and delicious, vegan and gluten free Konkani breakfast recipe prepared using green peas, coconut and spices. This is a no onion no garlic recipe served during fasting days and even as prasadam in temple.
Another variation to this dish is to add garlic, ginger and onion and serve it with any variety of bread or as side dish with rice.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4 - 5
Ingredients for Batani Usli
Green peas - 1 ½ cup (dried)
Grated coconut - ⅓ cup
Vegetable oil / Coconut oil - 1 ½ tbsp
Green Chilies - 2 to 3
Sugar - ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Dried red chilies - 2
Asafoetida / Hing - ⅛ tsp
Curry leaves - 5
Salt - to taste
Steps to prepare Batani Usli
- Soak the dried green peas in water overnight.
- Pressure cook this for one whistle. See that the green peas is covered with water. Allow this to cool down.
- Now add salt and bring it nice boil. Drain it completely. You can use this water to prepare rasam / saru. For similar recipe click here .
- Heat oil in pan. Add mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add urad dal, red chilies and curry leaves and saute till it becomes light in color.
- Now add green chilies, hing and saute for another few seconds.
- Add the cooked green peas, grated coconut, sugar, adjust the salt and mix everything well.
- Batani usli is now done. Serve hot with sweet and spicy poha and enjoy.
- You can use fresh or dry garted coonut.
- You can add jaggery (gur) instead of sugar.
- Vary the amount of chilies as per your taste.