Mac and Cheese (Macaroni and Cheese) is a classic, rich and creamy cheesy deliciousness topped with crunchy topping that will satisfy all your taste buds and cheese cravings. The best Mac and Cheese you will ever make.
Mac and cheese can be prepared in different ways but this is how my family loves and I have been following this recipe for long time now. I just love this baked version. I have prepared the sauce, used three combinations of cheese (which keeps changing based on what is available in my pantry) and topped with bread crumbs, Parmesan, and butter. The bread crumb and Parmesan topping not only gives your dish additional crunch but also makes it super tasty.
A perfect recipe for weekday dinners, holiday gatherings, potlucks or even lunch box 🙂
Here is my simple recipe and tips to make the best Mac and Cheese
- Grate or Shred Cheese : Block cheese works best for mac and cheese. For satisfying and rich flavors always use combination of different cheeses. In the recipe presented below, I have used Cheddar, Swiss and Parmesan cheese in my recipe. Some of my other favorite cheese for the recipe include Mozzarella, Pepper jack and Gruyere.
- Cook Pasta :
- Make Roux : While pasta is cooking, in a sauce pan melt butter. Add flour and continue to whisk on medium heat for a minute until it is bubbly and golden.
- Make Sauce :
- Bake Macaroni and Cheese : Pour half of the macaroni and cheese onto the baking dish. Top remaining shredded cheese followed by remaining mac and cheese.
- Prepare the Panko Parmesan Topping : In a small bowl, combine butter, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake this for about 25 to 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Detailed recipe for Mac and Cheese
MAC AND CHEESE
- 2 cups Elbow Macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- ¼ cup All purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup Whole milk (cold)
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 2 cups Sharp cheddar cheese shredded (8 oz)
- ¾ cup Swiss cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoon Butter melted
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- ¾ cup Panko crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Set aside 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Combine cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, parmesan cheese and keep it aside.
- Cook the pasta one minute less than the package instructions, drain and drizzle the pasta with olive oil and stir to coat the pasta.
- Met butter in a saucepan. Add all purpose flour and whisk on medium heat for one minute until bubbly and light brown.
- Add milk, cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder , whisk and continue cooking on medium heat for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add half of the shredded cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir until the pasta is coated nicely in the cheese sauce.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese onto the baking dish.
- Top remaining shredded cheese followed by remaining mac and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine all the topping ingredients. Sprinkle all over the mac and cheese.
- Bake this for about 25 to 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Mac and Cheese is ready. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- For best results use block cheese and shred it.
- Add seasonings of your choice.
- Use any tubular shape pasta.
- Use any combination of cheese that you like.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***