Pad Phed With Tofu is a spicy, delicious and easy to prepare thai curry where the tofu is added in stir fried red curry paste with bamboo shoots, red/green peppers, basil leaves, coconut milk and served with steamed rice for lunch / dinner.
My family loves Thai food and we end up going to Thai restaurants when we visit different places. We first had this in Thai Cuisine Restaurant in Myrtle beach and wanted to try this out at home. The outcome was big hit and from then its become one of our frequent Thai recipe at home.
You can substitute tofu with mixed veggies or your favorite meat or shrimp or salmon.
Preparation time : 40 minutes
Ingredients for Pad Phed With Tofu
Tofu chopped - 14 oz
Bamboo Shoots - 14 oz ( 1 can)
Red/Green Bell Pepper(Capsicum) chopped - 1
Green Peas - ¼ cup
Fresh Basil leaves - 12 to 15
Coconut Milk - 13.5 FL oz
Brown Sugar - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
For the paste
Lemon Grass chopped - 1 tsp
Big Onion -1
Garlic cloves - 10
Dry Red Chili - 8
Ginger - 1 inch
Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp
Coriander seeds - ½ tsp
Peppercorns - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Water - 1 cup
Steps to prepare Pad Phed
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned in 'For the Paste' to form smooth paste.
- Transfer this to non-stick pan and bring it to nice boil for about 5 to 8 minutes till the raw smell goes off and it thickens.
- Now add the bamboo shoots, capsicum, green peas, brown sugar, salt to taste and saute for minute.
- Add the tofu, coconut milk, fresh basil leaves, adjust the salt again if required and cover the pan with lid.
- Bring it to nice boil in medium flame so that flavors are well combined. Add little water if required. (approx 10 to 15 minutes)
- Pad Phed With Tofu is now ready. Serve with hot steamed rice and enjoy.
- Vary the amount of dry red chillis as per your taste. You can also add red chilli powder instead.
- No oil is required for this recipe.