Patrado / Collard Leaves With Indian Twist is a very popular, soft, delicious and spicy Konkani recipe prepared using rice, coconut and dry red chill.
My mom prepares the best patrado and I still remember my cousins and family members asking her to prepare every time they visit and enjoying it with coconut oil :). When I visited payless store this time, I found this collard leaves and wanted to replicate my mom's recipe with this. So I gave this a try and the outcome was hit and felt its worth sharing.
This is also prepared during Ganesh chaturti. Traditionally this is done using colocasia or taro or arvi leaf. There are different versions in which you can prepare patrado recipe. I have given few substitutions below.
You can use
- rice flour instead of rice.
- substitute half of rice quantity with moong dal / toor dal.
- use red chilli powder instead of red chilli.
- skip rice flakes and use grated coconut .
Preparation time : 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves : 6 to 8 pieces
Ingredients for Patrado / Collard Leaves With Indian Twist
Collard leaves - 1 bunch ( 7 leaves)
Raw Rice - ¾ cup
Grated Coconut - ½ cup
Rice flakes / Poha / flattened rice - ¼ cup
Dry Red chilli - 8 to 10
Tamarind - lemon sized ball
Hing - ¼ to ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Steps to prepare Patrado / Collard Leaves With Indian Twist
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Wash the rice flakes.
- Grind together soaked rice, flakes, coconut, red chilli, tamarind, hing to form thick, smooth paste. Do not add much water while grinding. Add salt and mix well.
- Wash the leaves, remove the stalk and slice the center of the stem carefully without tearing it 🙂
- Place the largest leaf on the flat surface and add the layer of ground paste. place another leaves on top of it and again add the paste. Repeat the procedure for around 7 leaves.
- Now fold the sides of the leaves inwards and roll the leaves together to form a log. Tie each side with small piece of thread.
- Add enough water in steamer. Place the log and steam cook for about 20 minutes or until it is well cooked.
- Patrado / Collard Leaves With Indian Twist is ready. Remove the strings, cut them into rolls of desired size and serve hot with coconut oil and enjoy.
- Vary the amount of dry red chilli as per your taste.