Tukdi or Spicy Biscuits is a cripsy and crunchy, healthy and guilt-free snack that one must not miss to try out.
This is also called shankarpali, shankarpara namakpara or diamond biscuits and made in sweet, spicy and salty versions. Traditionally this is a deep fried snack and prepared during festivals like Diwali. But to have a tasty snack you don't have to wait for festivals.
I have done a baked version, that is not only crunchy and tasty but also a real treat to weight watchers. Munch this any time of the day. In India, its summer vacations and I have my cousins visiting us. That is the reason I have prepared baked snacks for them and stored it so that we all can munch together. You can also check out chakuli / rice fritters / murukku and nippattu / savory crackers recipe.
Preparation time :20 minutes + 30 minutes resting
Ingredients for Tukdi
All purpose flour - ¾ cup
Whole wheat flour - ¾ cup
Rice flour - ¼ cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - pinch
Red chile powder / Cayenne powder - 2 tsp
Vegetable shortening / dalda - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Steps to prepare Tukdi
- Mix all purpose flour, wheat flour, rice flour, hing, chilli powder, shortening and salt and mix well.
- Now add warm water little by little and knead to form a semi soft dough.
- Keep this aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Take a big ball of dough. Using rolling pin roll them into thin circle and using a pizza cutter or knife cut them into squares or diamonds or any desired shape.
- Place each piece on lightly greased baking sheet. I have used a silicon mat and therefore haven't greased it.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until it is crisp and done. I flipped it once at 5 minute mark. Depending on the thickness the time may vary slightly. Keep an eye towards the end of baking process because when it is thinner, it may turn black soon.
- Tukudi or Spicy Biscuits is now ready. Once it cools down, store it in air tight container. This will remain fresh for at least 15 days.
- You can also deep fry the shape pieces in oil.
- Vary the spiciness as per your taste.
- You can also use sugar in the recipe.