Asparagus Peanut Fried Rice is a healthy, flavorful and easy to make vegan rice recipe prepared in less than 20 minutes.
Asparagus is loaded with nutrients, and is also a good source of fiber and vitamins. Peanuts are good sources of vitamin E, folate, protein and manganese.
I for one like the unique- yet mild flavor of fresh asparagus spears. By now you must have noticed that I add nuts in my recipes as they are not only healthy, but also enhance the taste of the dish.
For this recipe, you can use basmati rice, jasmine rice, any long grain rice or even left over rice. I have kept the recipes as simple as possible. This rice is so tasty that it can be served alone and will not require any accompaniment. Also a perfect lunch box recipe.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3
Ingredients for Asparagus Peanut Fried Rice
Asparagus spears - 10
Peanuts chopped - 3 tbsp
Rice - 1 cup
Onion chopped - 1
Green chili chopped - 2
Garlic cloves chopped - 5
Ginger chopped - 1 inch
Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp
Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
Soy sauce - 1 ½ tsp
Worcestershire sauce - 1 ½ tsp
Apple cider vinegar - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
Steps to prepare Asparagus Peanut Fried Rice
- Wash and cook the rice according to package instructions.
- I have used jasmine rice. For 1 cup of rice, add 1 ½ cup of water, bring it to boil and simmer it for 10 minutes. Add salt and drizzle oil while cooking the rice.
- If you are using left over rice, then ignore step I
- Wash and chop the asparagus into quarters.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion, ginger, garlic cloves and green chilies and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Now add the asparagus and chopped peanuts, red pepper flakes and pepper powder and saute it for 3 - 5 minutes on medium high flame.
- Add soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and vinegar and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice and mix it on a high flame till the ingredients are well combined.
- Asparagus Peanut Fried Rice is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- Vary the amount of chillies or deseed if you cannot tolerate the heat. You can also use jalapeno or serrano pepper and the taste may vary accordingly.
- Vary the other ingredients amounts in the recipe as per your taste.
- You can also add any other vegetables of your choice.
*I have used a vegan / vegetarian version of Worcestershire sauce. Make sure you check the ingredient list in the sauce before you use it.