Chia cupcakes are super delicious vegan treats to light up any party. The recipe calls for simple ingredients and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. A perfect recipe in your arsenal when you are required to show up at a potluck on short notice 🙂
I made a batch of these delicious cupcakes for my husband's office potluck over the weekend. The addition of Chia seeds to the traditional cupcake batter not only makes it nutritious and healthy, but also gives it a nice crunch and nutty flavor. Chia seeds are a rage these days because of its touted health benefits. While several of the health benefits have not been scientifically supported, its stellar nutrition profile is highly regarded among health professionals. Chia seeds have very high fiber content, copious amounts of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, protein and beneficial carbs. Chia seeds are commonly added to breakfast servings like cereals and oat meals, and also while making smoothies and other drinks. At my home, everyone loves to add a table spoon or so of Chia seeds into their meals on a fairly regular basis. My husband in particular loves to add Chia seed gel in almost all of his coolers.
The Chia cupcake recipe is a no fail no fuss recipe that requires few simple ingredients to prepare. Inclusive of baking time, this recipe can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. I have prepared a vegan version that uses vegetable oil and almond milk. The outcome was perfect, and everyone at the potluck party loved it. These taste wonderful on their own, but feel free top them with your favorite frosting or icing before you serve. I glazed the tops with spoonful of apple butter and their flavors complimented extremely well. For the non-vegan version substitute oil with butter and almond milk with whole milk. I have used Chia seed gel (soaked Chia seeds) in this recipe, if you do not have them on hand and you are in a rush feel free to use the dry seeds. The outcome is going to be as good as this recipe. So why wait? Get your Chef's hat on and bake a batch of these delicious cupcakes for your loved ones and have a good time! Don't forget to drop in a few lines to let me know how it turned out.
Serves : 12 cupcakes
Ingredients for Chia Cupcakes
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Baking soda - ½ tsp
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Salt - ½ tsp
Sugar - ⅔ cup
Chia seeds - 3 tbsp
Vegetable oil - ⅓ cup
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Almond milk - 1 cup
Steps to prepare Chia Cupcakes
- Soak Chia seeds in about 2 ½ cups of water and keep it overnight. You will notice that Chia seeds absorbs water and forms a thick gel.
- Add all dry ingredients namely flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar in a bowl and mix well. To this add the Chia seed gel, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, almond milk and mix until it everything is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Line cupcake (or muffin) tins with liners and fill them upto 90 percent with the cupcake batter.
- Bake these in a 350 degree F (180 C) preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Do not forget to rotate the cupcakes half way through the baking time (at about 10 minute)to ensure even baking.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled you may decorate it with your favorite icing, frosting or glaze. I have glazed my cupcakes with delicious homemade apple butter.
- Chia Cupcakes are now ready. Serve and enjoy!
- If you are short on time you may soak chia seeds for about 30 minutes before using the recipe (drain excess water if required).
- If you do not have almond milk, feel free to use soy milk, rice milk or coconut milk.
- For non-vegan version you can also use whole milk and butter.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***