This Avocado toast is one of the best, healthy, crispy, and creamy, delicious toast recipes you will try this summer.
I prepare this toast often as it is one of my favorites and is an effortless breakfast or mid-day snack. Sometimes this avocado toast can even be served as a light meal. And during summer, I prefer such simple toasts when I really don't feel like standing in my kitchen for long hours. This post is even in my cookbook. I really don't know how I missed sharing it here.
In India, Avocado is also known as butter fruit, Vennai pazham in Tamil, Venna Pandu in Telugu, Benne Hannu in Kannada, Makhanphal in Hindi, and Alpukat in Marathi.
What is avocado toast?
This is an open sandwich where mashed avocado is spread on the toast along with some salt, pepper, and lemon juice. The recipe for the toast is very flexible, and to enhance the flavor, you can add olive oil, red onion, pepper flakes, cilantro or coriander leaves, hummus, egg, chicken, crispy bacon, turkey, etc.
Avocado toast topping ideas
I can go on with topping ideas. The first best and easy one is guacamole.
Cafe Gitane Avocado Toast
A popular cafe in New York City (NYC) started this trend. The recipe is super simple - mash the avocado, spread a nice layer of mashed avocado on a toasted slice of bread, drizzle olive oil and lemon juice, add salt and red pepper flakes, and you are done.
Some topping ideas include
- Eggs on top
- Tuna salad
- Sprouts of your choice
- Bagel seasoning
- Tomato and basil on top of mashed avocado with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Some other interesting avocado toast recipes include
Greek Avocado Toast - Crumbled feta cheese with cherry tomatoes and lime juice on top of the mashed avocado.
Sriracha Mayo Avocado Toast - Just drizzle some sriracha sauce on top of mashed avocado if you like a spicy kick in your sandwich recipe, and if you like it creamy, prepare sriracha mayo and drizzle it on top of mashed avocado.
Loaded Avocado Toast - In a bowl, add finely sliced/julienned radishes, red onions or spring onions, and jalapenos. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well. Spread mashed avocado on bread toast. Spread the topping over this and serve.
Chicken Bacon Avocado Toast - Add shredded chicken breasts' from the rotisserie and cooked bacon strips with some salt and cheese like provolone on top of mashed avocado. You can drizzle some mayo, mustard, or sriracha mayo if desired.
Turkey Bacon Avocado Toast- Like chicken bacon avocado toast, except for chicken breasts, use turkey breasts.
2 Sourdough or whole-grain bread slices
1 ripe Avocado or Butter Fruit
¼ to ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
1 to 2 teaspoon Lemon or lime juice
⅛ teaspoon Salt, to taste
2 tablespoon Red onion, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes, to taste
½ tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves, chopped
How to make the best, creamy and healthy butter fruit toast
- Remove the pit from an avocado. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, add it to a bowl, and using a fork, mash the avocado flesh till it's smooth as you like.
- Add lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt to taste and mix well. Adjust the ingredients amount as per your taste.
- Toast the bread until crisp and golden brown in a toaster, or toast in a regular pan or grill pan on medium heat with butter or olive oil.
- Spread the mashed avocado on top of the toast. Garnish it with red onions, cilantro, and red pepper flakes, or use other topping ideas mentioned in the post.
- For good results, use good quality bread that this thick and crusty.
- I prefer to use these toppings when preparing toast. But you are free to adjust all the ingredients and their amounts as per your liking.
- Use ripe avocados (do not use unripe or overripe avocados) while making toast.
Love avocado? Try some of my favorite recipes using avocado
- Avocado Flatbread | Paratha | Chapati
- Guacamole Or Avocado Dip
- Black Bean Burger
- Avocado Breakfast Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Toasts - bread-free toasts
Sourdough bread or any whole grain bread is my preferred choice. I like to slice them to half-inch thick slices. You can also use French baguettes or Italian Baguettes - regular or whole wheat version cut into 1-inch thick slices. Sliced bagels are also an excellent choice for this toast. Toast these slices in the toaster.
My husband loves it when the bread slices are toasted in the oven. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F, place the sliced bread (or slices of baguettes or bagels) in a baking tray and bake for 6 to 8 mins. Midway through the toasting time, flip the slices.
Alternatively, you can toast the slices in a bread toaster or in a pan on the stovetop. I like to use a grill pan if I use the stovetop method to toast the bread slices.
As soon as they are out of the oven (or toaster, or grill pan), brush the tops with olive oil or melted butter. If you like garlic flavor, you can rub half a piece of garlic clove across each toast.
Gently press against the skin of the avocados. If they feel firm, then they are not yet ripe. If they are slightly soft when pressed, it means they are ripe and ready to use. If you go shopping over the weekend, but plan to use avocados during the weekdays, then buy unripe avocados. Wrap each avocado individually in a newspaper or paper bag or kitchen towel and let it ripen at room temperature for two or three days.
Scoop and discard the brown portion of the flesh before mashing the avocado.
Preparing avocado toast ahead of time is not advisable, as the toast can become soggy, and the avocado can start to oxidize.
Alternately, pack the toast and slices of avocado drizzled with lemon juice separately. When it is time for lunch, you can mash the avocadoes using a fork and spread them over the toast, add any toppings and enjoy!
Avocado Toast | Open Avocado Sandwich
- 2 Sourdough or whole-grain bread slices
- 1 Ripe Avocado or Butter fruit
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoon Lemon or Lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Red onion finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes to taste
- ½ tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped
- ½ teaspoon Olive oil apply after toasting the bread slices
- Remove the pit from an avocado. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, add it to a bowl, and using a fork mash it till it’s smooth as you like.1 Ripe Avocado or Butter fruit
- Add lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt to taste and mix well. Adjust the ingredients amount as per your taste.¼ to ½ teaspoon Garlic powder, 1 to 2 teaspoon Lemon or Lime juice, ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Toast the bread until crisp and golden brown in a toaster, or toast in a pan on medium heat with butter or olive oil.2 Sourdough or whole-grain bread slices
- Spread the mashed avocado on top of the toast. Garnish it with red onions, cilantro, and red pepper flakes, or use any other topping ideas mentioned in the post.2 tablespoon Red onion, ½ tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves, ¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- For good results, use good quality bread that this thick and crusty.
- I prefer to use these toppings when preparing avocado toast. But you are free to adjust all the ingredients and their amounts as per your liking.
- Use ripe avocados (do not use unripe or overripe avocados) while making toasts.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***
Oh my, this Avocado toast is an instant favorite for me. This toast recipe looks amazingly delicious and very enticing! This will be a hit on any given occasion! For me, Avocado is life!