Chicken Kali Mirch or Murgh Kali Mirch is a delicious and spicy entree that can be served with any Indian flat breads like naan, roti, chapati or even with steamed rice. Give this dish a try and I am sure it will be a frequent item in your kitchen and also a go to dish for your dinner parties.
Kali mirch means 'black pepper' and murg / murgh means 'chicken'. This dish is a true treat for all spicy food lovers. The only spiciness in this dish comes from black pepper, and is believed to provide a lot of health benefits when consumed in moderate quantity. I first had this dish at an Indian restaurant in Chicago. It was truly irresistible. As Chicago is far from my place and I cannot go that restaurant frequently 🙂 I tried making this dish at home and the outcome was a super hit and felt its worth sharing.
The recipe below is my take on the dish, but I am sure there are other interesting variations as well. The chicken is marinated and then cooked in the aromatic and spicy gravy. While this dish can be served with steamed rice, I have served it with soft tava naan and will soon post the recipe for the same.
Vegetarians can substitute chicken with paneer or potato and non-vegetarians can also use any of your other favorite meat.
Preparation time : 40 minutes + marination time
Serves : 4
Ingredients for Chicken Kali Mirch
Black Peppercorns - 2 tbsp
Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cardamom seeds - 5
Bay leaf - 1
Onion sliced - 1
Garlic cloves chopped - 5
Ginger grated - 1 inch
Coriander leaves - 6 strands
Green chilies - for garnish (optional)
Water - ½ cup
Salt - to taste
For the marination:
Chicken thighs - 750 g
Yogurt - 4 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Ginger grated - ½ inch
Garlic cloves finely chopped - 4
Coriander leaves / Cilantro finely chopped- 4
Tandoori masala - 1 tsp
Dried mint leaves - ½ tsp
Salt - ½ tsp
Steps to prepare Chicken Kali Mirch
- Cut the chicken thighs to desired size. Add all the ingredients listed under marination, mix well and marinate for atleast 1 hour, preferably overnight. I have kept it overnight.
- In a pan on medium heat dry roast black pepper corns for about 2-3 mins.
- Next add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and continue roasting the black pepper corns until they start to sizzle in oil.
- Add cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom seeds, bay leaf and continue to saute until aromatic.
- Add sliced onions along with a pinch of salt and saute until onions turn light golden in color.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and continue to saute the onions till they are dark golden in color.
- Blend the sauteed ingredients along with coriander leaves and half cup of water into a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, marinated chicken thighs and roast it for about 5 mins on medium-high heat until the meat sears on all sides. Rotate the meat about half way through.
- Add the blended paste to the pan along with some additional water for desired consistency. Once the gravy comes to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cook covered for about 12-15 mins.
- Add salt to taste. Garnish with finely sliced green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Chicken Kali Mirch is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.