Chocolate Appo is a soft and appetizing double chocolate treat that you must definitely try if you are chocolate lover.
Appo also called appe or paniyaram is a popular dish prepared during the occasion of Ganesha Chaturthi. There are multiple variations to it and are usually prepared for breakfast or as an evening snack. Some of my favorites include sweet rice appo (this is a popular recipe from my blog tried by different visitors 🙂 ), spicy wheat appo, instant sweet banana appo, tempered appo. The sweet versions of appes are usually prepared as a naivedyam (offering) to Lord Ganesha. To prepare these delicious appes you just need a paniyaram pan / appe kayli to prepare this recipe. If you do not have a paniyaram pan feel free to make pancakes with the same batter.
This time I really wanted to do something different with my appe pan for Ganesh Chaturthi. With the double chocolate brownies taste still in my mind I thought why not try something with cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I also wanted my recipe to be gluten free and healthy so that you can also give these to kids for lunch-box. So I used rice instead of any flour. The end result was a delicious appes with light crispy edges and with soft & gooey chocolate inside. There was nothing that I or my family did not like about this recipe. These appes were so good to taste, easy to make and perfect for the festive season. I hope you guys give this dish a try and do share your comments and variations.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Rest time : 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves : 28 appes / paniyaram
Ingredients for Chocolate Appo
Rice - ¾ cup
Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder - ½ tsp
Brown sugar - ¼ cup
Unsweetened cocoa powder - ¼ cup
Salt - a pinch
Chocolate chips - 3 tbsp
Butter - 2 tablespoon to 3 tablespoon ( Use oil or vegan butter for vegan version )
Steps to prepare Chocolate Appo
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Now drain it completely.
- Grind rice and grated coconut adding water to form a medium thick batter. The consistency of the batter would be similar to any dosa / pancake batter.
- Transfer this to a bowl. Add vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and mix well.
- Keep this batter aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add baking powder to the batter and mix well.
- Heat appe pan and add butter / ghee into all the molds. Pour a teaspoon of batter in each mold, add 3 to 4 chocolate chips and then top it with another teaspoon of batter.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow it to cook on medium flame for 2 minutes
- When the edges are cooked, flip the appes, add some butter and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- Chocolate Appes are now ready. Serve them on their own or with ghee / butter and enjoy.
- Vary the sweetness as per your taste.
- You can substitute brown sugar with jaggery or regular sugar.
- I have used a non-stick appe pan.
Also check out the dessert and sweet recipe contest and win exciting prizes. For more recent updates, follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, GooglePlus.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***