Crispy Cauliflower is delicious and crunchy finger food. A perfect accompaniment for your cocktail / mocktail party or fun appetizer to your family dinner.
These fries are easy to make and irresistible. It will disappear in no time. So make sure you make them in plenty. This is also called gobi rava fry in India and one of the most popular finger food in a vegetarian bar and restaurant in Mangalore .
The other popular vegetarian substitute for cauliflower would be baby corn and for nonveg lovers feel free to substitute with fish and enjoy.
Preparation time : 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves : 4 ( but can be finished by 1 🙂 )
Ingredients for Crispy Cauliflower
Florets of half of big cauliflower
Semolina/Sooji for coating
Vegetable Oil for frying
For the Marination
Raw Rice - ½ cup
Medium Onion - 1
Garlic cloves - 3
Ginger - ½ inch
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 4 to 5 or Red chilli powder - 1 ½ to 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Steps to prepare Crispy Cauliflower
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.drain them.
- Grind the rice along with all the ingredients mentioned in 'For the marination' adding very little water to form medium thick paste.
- Wash the cauliflower florets and marinate it with the ground paste and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil for frying. See the at least 40% of the pan is covered with oil. Coat each florets with sooji/semolina.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry the cauliflower in medium to medium-high flame till they are crisp and start floating on top.
- Transfer it paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Crispy Cauliflower is ready. Serve with tomato ketchup and enjoy.
- Do not over crowd the pan. depending on the size of the pan, add the florets.
- To check if the oil is hot, add small piece of floret and check if it sizzles and comes up.
- Oil should be not too hot/too cold. If its too hot, the florets might become brown faster and cauliflower might be under cooked and if its cold it might absorb oil when frying.
- I add the florets in medium high flame. then switch it to medium flame and once its done, I again switch the flame to medium-high and remove the florets. Doing so will avoid it from absorbing excess oil.