Fried Tofu With Peanut Sauce is my family's favorite finger food and perfect accompaniment for cocktail / mocktail party. Tofu is very crisp outside and soft inside and will melt in your mouth. You just can't stop eating one.This gets over in no time. Peanut sauce is sweet and spicy and is highlight to this finger food.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3
Ingredients for Fried Tofu With Peanut Sauce
Extra FirmTofu - 14 oz
Roasted Peanuts - ½ cup
Red pepper flakes - 2 tsp
Thai Bird Chilies - 5 to 6 (vary amount as per your taste)
Garlic cloves - 3
Tamarind - small ball (¼ inch)
White Vinegar - ⅓ cup
Brown sugar - ¼ cup (vary the amount as per your taste)
Water - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Steps to prepare Fried Tofu With Peanut Sauce
For the sauce
- Grind chillies, garlic cloves, tamarind, brown sugar, vinegar and water to form smooth paste.
- Transfer this ground paste to pan and bring it nice boil.
- Meanwhile in chopper finely chop peanuts or chop them using knife.
- Add this chopped peanuts to the sauce along with red pepper flakes and adjust the salt.
- Keep stirring and bring it to nice boil. switch of the flame.
For frying the tofu
- Drain the tofu so that its reasonably dry. I press them between the kitchen towel.
- Cut them into desired shape (triangle, rectangle, cube) and sprinkle salt on them.
- Heat oil for frying. See that atleast 40 % of the pan is covered with oil.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the tofu in medium to medium-high flame till its golden brown on both the sides.
- Transfer this to paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Fried tofu with Peanut sauce is ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- Do not overcrowd the pan. depending on the size of the pan, add the tofus.
- If the oil is cold, then tofu will absorb excess oil while frying. If its very hot, then tofu will turn brown soon. Its best practice to fry switching the flame between medium and medium-high.
- To check if the oil is hot, take a small piece of tofu and put it in oil. If it sizzles it means oil is ready for frying.
- You can also coat the tofu with corn starch before frying if required(optional).
- Adjust the sweetness and spiciness for the sauce as per your taste.