Pad Ga Prao (Thai Holy Basil Stir Fry), also known as Pad Kra Pao, is a spicy, quick, and easy-to-make, flavorful Thai dish that tastes best when served with steamed rice. The recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
Traditionally holy basil is used in the recipe and the dish is topped with fried egg. I have prepared this dish using tofu, my favorite vegan protein. You can always substitute with your favorite meat or veggies of your choice.
If you love Thai food, check out our authentic and quick Thai Fried Rice, Thai Mango fried rice, easy Thai Salad, delicious Pad Ped Tofu, etc. Those with a sweet tooth should definitely try Thai Sticky Rice with Mangoes.
Ingredients for Pad Ga Prow
Tofu is the main protein component of the dish. Use any protein of your choice such as chicken, shrimp, fish, paneer, etc.
Vegetable oil for frying Tofu and sauteeing aromatics and vegetables.
Vegetables of your choice - such as Capsicum, Mushroom, Carrot, Frozen green peas, Frozen sweet corn, Bean sprouts, etc.
Spices and Aromatics - such as Thai small green chilies (birds eye chilies), Ginger, Garlic, Sriracha hot chili sauce, Soy sauce, Jaggery
Salt - adjust to taste.
Thai Holy Basil leaves or regular Thai Basil for freshness and aroma.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Step by Step Recipe
Step 1: Shallow-fry Tofu along with a little salt in a nonstick pan on medium heat until it develops some color, and keep it aside.
Step 2: In the same nonstick pan, saute crushed garlic, green chilies, and grated ginger until it turns light brown.
Step 3: Add the veggies and saute until tender but crisp. Add sriracha chili sauce, soy sauce, and jaggery, and cook for a minute.
Step 4: Add water for desired consistency, salt to taste, shallow fried tofu, and fresh Thai Holy Basil leaves, and cook until all the flavors are well combined. Pad Ga Prao or Thai Holy Basil Stir Fry is now ready. Serve hot with steamed jasmine rice, and enjoy.
Expert Chef Tips
- Vary the amount of green chilies and sauces as per your taste.
- Use any vegetables of your choice.
- Substitute Tofu with any protein source of your choice.
- If you do not find Thai Holy Basil leaves, substitute them with Thai Basil or Italian Basil.
Thai basil is more fragrant and sweeter in taste. Whereas Thai Holy Basil is less fragrant and has a spicy/peppery taste.
Use Thai Basil, Italian Basil, or Dried Basil leaves if you do not have Thai Holy Basil leaves.
No. However, they do belong to the same family. Tulsi has a lemony fragrance and sweeter. Thai Holy Basil leaves, also referred to as Thai Sweet Basil, are much sharper than Tulsi and tastes like liquorice.
Other Tofu recipes you may like
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Easy Pad Ga Prao Recipe (Pad Kra Pao | Thai Holy Basil Stir Fry)
- 14 oz Tofu (or Paneer) extra firm
- ½ medium Capsicum chopped
- 4 oz Mushroom chopped
- 1 medium Carrot sliced
- ¼ cup Frozen peas
- ¼ cup Frozen corn
- ¼ cup Bean sprouts
- 16 leaves Basil use Thai Holy Basil
- 2 pieces Thai chilies
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery or Brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Cut the tofu into the desired shape. Place the tofu, sprinkle a little salt, and shallow fry until they develop some color.14 oz Tofu, 1.5 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- Transfer this to a plate and keep it aside.
- Using a mortar and pestle, nicely crush the garlic cloves and green Thai chilies.5 cloves Garlic, 2 pieces Thai chilies
- In the same nonstick pan, add the crushed garlic and Thai green chillies, grated ginger, and saute till it becomes brown on high heat.1 inch Ginger
- Add the carrot, capsicum, mushroom, green peas, sweet corn and saute them till they are cooked. You can use any vegetables of your choice.½ medium Capsicum, 4 oz Mushroom, 1 medium Carrot, ¼ cup Frozen peas, ¼ cup Frozen corn
- Add Sriracha chilli sauce, soya sauce, brown sugar, and mix well and cook for a minute.1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce, 1 teaspoon Soy sauce, 1 teaspoon Jaggery
- Add water for desired consistency, salt to taste, shallow fried tofu from Step 1, bean sprouts, basil leaves, and cook until all the flavors are well combined.¼ cup Bean sprouts, ½ teaspoon Salt, 16 leaves Basil