Neer Dosa is a very popular, thin and gluten free dosa / pancake/ crepe prepared using rice batter in Mangalore, Udupi region of Karnataka. This dosa requires no fermentation. Rice is ground with water to get a runny batter. 'Neer' means water in local language. In konkani it is called panpolo.
This dish can be served with jaggery, ghee, chutney, ghee roast or any spicy curry for breakfast / lunch / dinner. I have served this with mushroom sukka and this is yummy combination.
Total preparation time : 1 hour + 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Ingredients for Neer Dosa
Raw Rice - 1 ½ cup
Grated Coconut - 4 tablespoon or ¼ cup (optional)
Water - approx 2 to 2 ½ cups
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking dosa
Steps to prepare Neer Dosa
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 1 hour and then drain them.
- Grind the rice along with some water and grated coconut to form a smooth batter. Transfer this to bowl, check the consistency of batter and add water accordingly to get running batter. The batter should be of buttermilk consistency. Add the salt and mix well.
- Heat non-stick pan. The pan should be very hot. Pour a laddle full of batter and tilt the pan gently so that the batter spreads evenly.
- Drizzle oil and cover this with lid for 30 seconds. The dosa should not turn brown and you do not have to flip this dosa.
- Now fold the dosa to form semi circle, then fold it again into half to form triangle shape.
- Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- Neer dosa is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- The batter should not be thick. It should be of flowing consistency. After grinding, add water little by little. Good neer dosa batter will have holes that form on surface as soon as you pour the batter on a hot pan.
- You can avoid adding oil if you are using good non stick pan.