Sweet and Spicy Poha also called kalaile povu / kolmbe pitti povu in konkani is a very easy to make, sweet and spicy vegan and gluten free snack recipe that can be prepared in less than 5 minutes. This is no onion no garlic recipe and prepared during fasting days.
Today I have used store bought sambar powder for this recipe. You can also prepare the sambar powder from scratch and use it in recipe which always tastes the best. I will post the recipe for homemade sambar powder soon.
I have also used dry grated coconut so added a teaspoon of oil in my recipe. You can make this oi-less if you are adding fresh / frozen grated coconut.
There are different ways in which this can be prepared. I will give few substitutions in the tip section.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Serves : 2
Ingredients for Sweet and Spicy Poha
Flattened rice / Poha / Avalakki - 1 cup
Jaggery - 2 tablespoon (gur)
Red chile powder - 1 tsp
Sambar powder - 1 ½ tsp
Grated Coconut - ⅓ cup
Vegetable oil / Coconut oil - 1 teaspoon (optional)
Salt - to taste
Steps to prepare Sweet and Spicy Poha
- In a bowl add grated jaggery, red chile powder, sambar powder, grated coconut, salt and oil and mix well using hand.
- Now add the poha little by little and mix again using hand till the masala is uniformly distributed.
- Sweet and Spicy Poha is now ready. Serve immediately and enjoy. Click here for green peas usli
- You can substitute jaggery with brown sugar or regular sugar.
- I have used dry grated coconut, so added oil. If using fresh / frozen coocnut then skip adding oil.
- You can use green chiles instead of red chile powder.
- Vary the spices as per your taste.
- You can also add coriander leaves if desired.