This is one of the creamy & best potato salad recipes that is addictive and delicious and will be a super hit side dish at your Christmas holiday dinner table.
I have used homemade eggless vegan mayonnaise to make this recipe. The boiled potatoes are combined with fresh & crisp cucumber, onion making it even more flavorful & the dressing is super simple: mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt, lemon juice, and pepper powder to taste.
If you love to prepare salads for your meals, then do check out my favorite salad recipes here and customize it to your liking - tropical fruit salad with savory coconut dressing, quick and simple apple salad, Vegetable salad with Thai-style dressing, easy arugula and white beans salad, etc.
Check out my new post that is trending EGGLESS CHRISTMAS CAKE OR VEGAN CAKE.
While you are here, don't forget to check out CHRISTMAS FOOD IDEAS which I kickstarted this year with the BEST HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE, CHRISTMAS TREE PULL APART BREAD & CHRISTMAS TREE VEGETABLE PLATTER WITH VEGAN MAYO.
Who doesn't love potatoes? My family loves potatoes in any form and if you want to check our potato creations, check this out.
Which potatoes to use for potato salad?
In my opinion, any potatoes red, yellow, gold will work for the recipe. The only thing to remember is not to overcook or boil the potatoes.
How to cook potatoes for making potato salad?
I generally pressure cook the potatoes with skin and then peel it. That is, place a trivet at the bottom of your pressure cooker and fill 3 to 4 inches with water. Then in a bowl, add potatoes and seal the pressure cooker with weight. Now cook for 3 whistles. By doing so, the potatoes will not be waterlogged and thus will have optimum moisture content. Cook potatoes until tender. No overcooking or undercooking, please.
You can cook the potatoes in a pot with water, instant pot, or any preferred method. Just make sure it does not absorb too much water.
Boiled potatoes with mayonnaise dressing are all good by themselves. But here are some add ons that you may try.
- Hardboiled eggs
- Red onions
- Fresh Herbs
How to keep potato salad from getting watery?
- When boiling or cooking potatoes, do not add salt.
- Do not mix the dressing with boiled potatoes when they are hot.
- As mentioned above, I prefer to cook them in the pressure cooker or microwave, thereby ensuring potatoes do not absorb too much moisture.
Ingredients for BEST POTATO SALAD | CREAMY POTATO SALAD
3 Potatoes, medium-sized, boiled, and diced
1 Cucumber, medium-sized, diced
1 Onion, medium-sized, diced
2 tablespoon Cilantro or Coriander leaves chopped (you can use rosemary, dill, or parsley too)
2 teaspoon Lemon juice
2 tablespoon Yogurt or Sour cream
½ cup Mayonnaise (homemade or store-bought)
½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
½ teaspoon Salt, adjust to taste
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY BEST POTATO SALAD
Boil the potatoes with skin, peel, and then dice them. Boil any way you prefer. Just make sure they are cooked just until tender. We do not want mushy potatoes.
In a bowl, add diced potatoes, cucumber, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, sour cream, mayonnaise (I have used homemade vegan mayo), pepper powder, salt to taste. Mix well.
Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving so that the flavors are well combined. You can check the video on the making of potato salad here.
One of the best make-ahead salad recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Make it ahead of time and keep it for at least 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator for a flavorful salad. This salad stays good for 2-3 days.
Video recipe for CREAMY POTATO SALAD | BEST POTATO SALAD
Detailed step by step recipe for CREAMY POTATO SALAD | BEST POTATO SALAD
Best Potato Salad | How To Make Creamy Potato Salad
- 3 medium Potatoes , boiled and diced
- 1 medium Cucumber , diced
- 1 medium Onion , diced
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro or Coriander leaves chopped ( you can use rosemary, dill or parsley too)
- 2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Yogurt or Sour cream
- ½ cup Mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt , adjust to taste
- Boil the potatoes with skin, peel, and then dice them. Boil any way you prefer. Just make sure they are cooked just until tender. We do not want mushy potatoes.3 medium Potatoes
- In a bowl, add diced potatoes, cucumber, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, sour cream, mayonnaise (I have used homemade vegan mayo), pepper powder, salt to taste. Mix well.1 medium Cucumber, 1 medium Onion, 2 tablespoon Cilantro, 2 teaspoon Lemon juice, 2 tablespoon Yogurt, ½ cup Mayonnaise, ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving so that the flavors are well combined. You can check the video on the making of potato salad.
- This is one of the best make-ahead salad recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.
- Make it ahead of time and keep it for at least 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator for a flavorful salad.
- Leftover salad stays good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***