The Apple Salad recipe shared below is simple yet so delicious and a total crowd pleaser where apples and cheese are cut into the shape of fries or matchsticks and then tossed in oil. My kids love this salad! The apple salad has a unique sweet and savory combination with crunchiness from apples that make people go for second and third servings.
About the Recipe
This Apple Salad is also called apple matchstick salad and what I love about this salad is it is so easy, with no mess, no dressing, and no yogurt or mayonnaise.
To make the salad:
- Use any apples that are crisp and firm (red or green).
- To this, add any readily available cheese (e.g., manchego, mozzarella, cheddar, Monterey jack, etc.) and chopped herbs (chives or spring onions).
- Toss them in olive or coconut oil with a pinch of salt and a splash of lemon juice.
Apple salad is my go-to side/salad dish, especially on weeknights when I am in a rush. And since apples are available throughout the year, you can prepare this salad in all seasons. I am going to make this salad either for Thanksgiving or Christmas - firstly, because of its simplicity, secondly, its a total crowd favorite; and the most important reason is that kids can eat this salad on their own, allowing the adults to have a good time at the dinner table.
My little one enjoyed it like french fries. These are some tricks even you can use if you have a picky eater at home.
Love apples? Check out some of my favorite apple recipes to try this fall and winter
- apple fritters – popular on the blog
- vegan apple dates bread,
- apple halwa
- crumble topping apple coffee cake
- apple cheese danish– popular on the blog
- persimmon apple pudding – must try
- cinnamon rolls with apple pie filling
4 Apples (firm & crisp)
Juice of ½ lemon
4 oz Mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon Chopped Spring onions, Scallions, Green Onions (or use chives)
1 tablespoon Olive oil
Pinch of salt, to taste
How to make the best apple salad?
How to cut apples into matchsticks or fries?
Wash the apples, and cut them into slices vertically. Lay down each piece of apple and cut them into long rectangular sticks.
Making of salad
- Add the chopped apple sticks to a bowl and toss them with lemon juice.
- Cut the block of cheese into matchsticks or fries.
- Add cheese sticks to the apple along with finely chopped scallions (spring onions or green onions or use chives), oil, and salt, and toss until combined.
- Serve immediately.
- Apples are the main ingredients here, but you can substitute them with pear or add both to the recipe.
- Mozzarella cheese can be substituted with manchego, cheddar, and Monterey jack.
- Spring onions can be substituted with chives or fresh parsley, or basil (each herb will give its unique flavor)
- Olive oil can be substituted with Coconut oil.
Variations to apple salad
- You can add toasted nuts, seeds, and dried fruits if desired.
- Cranberries, walnuts, and pecans can be added to give it a festive feel.
- To make this salad more colorful and healthy, you can also cut carrots, cucumber, broccoli, beets, and pears into matchsticks and add them to the recipe making it a rainbow salad.
- If you want to add greens, just toss some spinach, arugula, or rockets to this apple salad.
Adding lime juice (lemon juice) keeps the apple fresh and prevents apples from turning brown. You can even add orange juice if needed. The flavor will be slightly different.
This salad is best to be served with a warm soup such as butternut squash soup.
Any variety of apples tastes good in a salad. But to give that crunchiness, select apples that are crisp and firm.
Simply cut the apples into matchsticks and squeeze some lemon juice and toss so that it remains fresh. You can prep cheese and chives (or use spring onions) and keep them ready. Just when you are ready to serve, toss.
Looking for more simple, healthy, and best salad recipes?
- Healthy Quinoa Salad
- Creamy Potato Salad
- Thai Crunch Salad with Cashew Dressing
- Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad
- Easy Greek Salad
While you are here, also check out our 50 + recipe collection of Thanksgiving Side Dishes.
Check out 1-minute short video on making of apple salad.
Simple Apple Salad Recipe | Healthy Apple Salad
I make this salad with ingredients in my pantry. Read post above for substitutes and variations for each ingredient.
- 4 Apples firm and crisp
- 1 teaspoon Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 oz Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Spring onions, chopped Scallions, Green Onions, or use Chives
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil or Olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt, a pinch to taste
- Wash the apples, and cut them into slices vertically. Lay down each piece of apple and cut them into long rectangular sticks. Check out 1-minute video on making of apple salad.4 Apples
- Add the chopped apple sticks to a bowl and toss them with lemon juice.1 teaspoon Juice of ½ lemon
- Cut the block of cheese into matchsticks or fries.4 oz Mozzarella cheese
- Add cheese sticks to the apple along with finely chopped scallions (spring onions or green onions or use chives), oil, and salt, and toss until combined.1 tablespoon Spring onions, chopped, 1 tablespoon Coconut oil or Olive oil, ⅛ teaspoon Salt, a pinch
- Serve immediately.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***