Crunchy granola is a quick snack and an energy booster that can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.
Traditionally granola is prepared in an oven by slow roasting the ingredients. Here I am presenting a quick stove-top granola recipe, that may be altered according to your taste. I always carry a small sandwich bag with granola as a post workout snack. The ingredients in the recipe below contain some of my favorite dry fruits and nuts - and these help satisfy my hunger pang immediately after a workout and restore energy in my system. My husband on the other hand loves to have this granola as a quick morning breakfast with some cold milk.
The recipe is really simple, the only important step is the roasting of the ingredients. Since this is a quick recipe, I ensure to continuously stir the ingredients while roasting. This allows to develop a beautiful golden brown color, and gives the granola a nice crunch. Addition of cinnamon powder while roasting will make your home smell like a warm cookie. Don't miss to try out this simple and delicious granola recipe and share your variations and comments.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Serves : approx 2 cups
Ingredients for Crunchy Granola
Rolled oats - 1 ½ cup
Chia seeds - 1 tbsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Cashews chopped - 2 tbsp
Almonds chopped - 2 tbsp
Peanuts chopped - 4 tbsp
Raisins - 2 tbsp
Cranberries - 2 tbsp
Honey - 1 tbsp
Brown sugar - 3 tbsp
Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - ¼ tsp
Steps for Crunchy Granola
- In a non-stick pan on medium heat, add coconut oil, rolled oats, chia seeds, almonds, cashews and peanuts and roast for about 4 to 5 minutes or until light golden brown and fragrant. Make sure you continuously stir while roasting oats and nuts to prevent it from burning.
- Now add brown sugar, honey, salt, and cinnamon powder and continue to roast until golden brown or another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add chopped raisins and cranberries and allow to cool.
- Crunchy granola is now ready. It stores well in an air tight container for about a week to 10 days.
- Use any combination of nuts and dry fruits available in your pantry.
- You can also vary the amount of sugar or honey according to your preference.