Oats Chapati is a very nutritious, easy to make vegan flat bread recipe prepared using oats and wheat flour in less than 30 minutes.
Oats is high in fiber and therefore helps in lowering cholesterol levels. Wheat flour is a rich source of essential nutrients.
For people who watch weight this is one such recipe that is a must try. I prepare flat breads often as they are simple, healthy and requires very minimal ingredients. You can cook this chapati dry or even use butter or oil as desired. If you want to make it even more tastier then add finely chopped onion, green chilies, cumin seeds, coriander leaves / cilantro while preparing the dough.
Today I have served it with onion capsicum masala and will soon share the recipe for the same. My other favorite accompaniments for this flatbread are:
- Palak Paneer
- Paneer Bhurji
- Cauliflower Lababdar
- Paneer Tikka Masala
- Babycorn Mushroom Ghee Roast
- Mixed Vegetable Dal
- Eggplant Sukka
- Spicy Tomato Curry
- Roasted Eggplant Dip
- Mushroom Butter Masala
- Dal Fry
I can go on because any simple curry will go well with this bread 🙂 But now let me stop and give the simple recipe for oats chapati.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 6 chapatis
Ingredients for Oats Chapati
Oats – 1/2 cup
Wheat flour – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Warm water – approx 1/2 cup
Steps to prepare Oats Chapati
- Grind the oats to form a smooth powder. Transfer this to a bowl.
- Add wheat flour, salt and mix.
- Now add warm water little by little and knead it for 3 – 4 minutes to form a smooth dough like that of regular chapati.
- You can immediately start preparing chapatis / bread or preferably cover the dough and rest it for 15 minutes.
- Heat the tava / non stick pan / skillet on medium-high flame.
- Dust the working surface with flour. Take a small piece of dough and roll it to a 6 inch diameter circle like a tortilla or any other roti.
- Once the pan is hot, place the rolled bread and cook until the underside develops brown spots for about 30 seconds.
- Then flip and cook on other side for another 30 seconds. you can add oil or butter while cooking if desired.
- Repeat the process for remaining dough.
- Oats Chapati is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- You can add half portion of all purpose flour instead of wheat flour if desired in the recipe.
- The amount of water required to form a smooth dough may vary depending on the weather conditions.
- Non-vegans can add warm milk instead of water while preparing the dough.