Deep Fried Spring Rolls is a crispy and tasty snack / finger food that is filled with vegetables and is a perfect accompaniment for cocktail / mocktail property or any type of gathering.
You can prepare deep fried version using egg wrapper / tortillas. For a healthier version you can try spring rolls with rice wrapper. I would not recommend rice wrapper for deep frying as its hard to work and absorbs excess oil while frying.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 10 spring rolls
Ingredients for Deep Fried Spring Rolls
Tortillas - 10
Cabbage - 1 cup
Baby Carrot - 10
Capsicum - ¾
Onion - 1
Ginger - ½ inch
Garlic cloves - 3
Green chilli - 2
Spring onion - 1
Garlic Salt - 1 ½ tsp
Dried Basil leaves - 1 tsp
Black Pepper powder - ½ tsp
Red Pepper flakes - 1 tsp
All purpose flour - 2 tbsp
Vegetable Oil for frying
Steps to prepare Deep Fried Spring Rolls
- Using food processor finely chop all the vegetables. You can also use vegetables of your choice.
- Transfer this finely chopped vegetables to bowl.
- Add the basil leaves, pepper powder, garlic salt, pepper flakes and mix well.
- In a small bow add flour and 2 tablespoon of water and mix to form thick paste. This is used for sealing the edges of the spring roll.
- Place a tortilla wrap on dry working surface. Take about 2 tablespoon of vegetable mixture, squeeze any excess water out of it and place it at one end of the wrap.
- Apply the flour paste along the edge of the tortilla, to act as a glue.
- Using the edge of the tortilla closest to you, roll it up and over the vegetable mix, and tuck it to form a tight log by pulling the mixture closer together.
- Fold the left side of the wrapper towards the center, and then the right side, to seal and close the ends of the roll.
- Now roll the wrapper away from you, gently tucking the filling tighter as you go and is sealed with the flour mixture at the farthest end.
- Heat oil for frying. See that atleast 40 % of the pan is covered with oil.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the rolls in medium flame turning it on both the sides frequently till it is cooked and golden in color. This might take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer it to paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Deep Fried Spring Rolls are now ready. Garnish it with spring onions and serve hot with sauce and enjoy.
- You can also use egg wrapper instead of tortillas for this recipe.
- See that you squeeze the vegetable mixture to avoid any water content before placing it on the wrap. Else spring rolls might explode while frying.
- If the oil is too hot, then rolls might get brown soon and will not be cooked inside. If the oil is too cold, then it will absorb excess oil. Good practice is to fry them by switching the flame between medium and medium high.
- Do not over crowd the pan. depending on the size of the pan, add the spring rolls.