Onion Rice is a vegan, quick and easy to make, aromatic rice recipe prepared in less than 30 minutes.
The crunchiness of cashews and the flavor of lightly caramelized onion along with the spices makes this dish irresistible. The only process in the recipe which needs time is the sauteing of onions till they become golden brown which takes about 8 to 10 minutes. If you also have left over rice, then this dish hardly requires few minutes to prepare. This can be served alone or with any curry of your choice. I have given my favorite accompaniments below.
Non-vegans can prepare this recipe using butter. This will enhance the taste. Use basmati rice, jasmine rice or any rice of your choice for this recipe.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 2
Ingredients for Onion Rice
Big Onion chopped lengthwise - 1
Green chilies chopped - 2
Cashews chopped - 1 ½ tbsp
Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
Cardamom seeds - 3
Clove - 1
Cumin seeds - 1 ½ tsp
Rice - ¾ cup
Salt - to taste
Steps to prepare Onion Rice
- Wash and cook the rice according to package instructions.
- I have used jasmine rice. For 1 cup of rice, add 1 ½ cup of water, bring it to boil and simmer it for 10 minutes. Add salt and drizzle oil while cooking the rice.
- If you are using left over rice, then ignore step I
- Heat oil in non-stick pan. Add cloves, cardamom, cumin seeds and cashews and saute till they become light golden in color.
- Now add the onion and green chilies and saute for about 8 to 10 minutes on medium to medium high flame till onion becomes golden brown in color. You can add pinch of salt while sauteing the onions as this will draw out the moisture and will cook the onions faster.
- Now add the cooked rice and toss till everything is combined.
- Onion Rice is ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- If you are using medium sized onions then add at least 1 ½ onions in the recipe.