Persimmon Apple Pudding is a rich cake-like, dense, and slightly gooey traditional American dessert served with saffron flavored butter sauce. This dessert is also known as Christmas pudding or Quince pudding.
Happy Thanksgiving 2020 to all my lovely readers. I really appreciate the love and support you guys have been giving me in my blogging journey and making it a successful one.
What are persimmons? and What does a persimmon taste like?
Have you tried persimmons before? I always see them in our farmers market and was eager to try. These are orange-colored fruits that taste sweet like honey. The skin of this fruit is very thin, and you can eat persimmon with skin on or peel it. Persimmon fruit comes with a lot of nutrients and health benefits. This fruit is available in the USA mainly from fall through winter.
What does Persimmon pair well with?
Persimmon fruit pairs well with apples, cinnamon, any citrus fruit, pears, and cranberries.
Can Persimmons be refrigerated or frozen?
Ripe persimmons are best when they are eaten immediately. Unripe persimmons can be refrigerated for upto a month.
What can I do with Persimmon fruit?
Persimmons can be eaten raw, dried, or cooked. There are multiple ways in which this fruit can be used. You can prepare persimmon jam, add it to salad, make salsa, add it to oatmeal or bars, prepare entrees such as persimmon chicken, etc. Recently as I was surfing through the Internet, I got to know that persimmons are locally grown in the state that I live and very popular during Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I decided to bring these home and prepare a pudding.
How do you make Persimmon Apple pudding ?
To prepare Persimmon Apple Pudding, I have first pureed apple and persimmons in a blender adding some milk. add butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, baking soda, and mix. Finally, add the baking powder, flour, and mix till combined. Transfer this to 10-inch spring form pan and bake for about 55 minutes. The pudding will rise when baked, but will fall when removed from the oven. This is normal. Set aside to cool.
It was unbelievably easy. My family just loved it. I also prepared another batch and which my husband took for his colleagues. Happy that I received several messages over the past week saying this was one of the best pudding they've had. I was on cloud nine.
How to make butter sauce?
To prepare the sauce, add butter to a pan on medium-low heat. Once the butter turns light golden in color, add flour and mix continuously for 2 to 3 minutes till you get a nice nutty aroma. A
Can you refrigerate Persimmon pudding?
This dessert is traditionally served warm and it actually tastes very good and this is how we love it even though you can serve it cold too. But if you are preparing for larger crowd or holiday like Thanksgiving, Christmas, you can make this ahead and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days. Just warm it when you are ready to serve. One of the best dessert recipe that isn't pie and you want to bake this holiday.
I am preparing this again for Thanksgiving dinner along with other dishes for my guests.
My Thanksgiving dinner menu
- cauliflower potato gratin with goat cheese
- cheesy potato casserole,
- parker house rolls (dinner rolls)
- cranberry chicken,
- bianca pizza,
- roasted brussel sprouts,
- spaghetti quash lasagna,
- sweet potato dumplings,
- pumpkin pie with streusel topping
Hope you all have loads and loads of fun with your family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving once again!!
Detailed recipe for Persimmon Apple Pudding
Persimmon Apple Pudding
For Persimmon and Apple Pudding
- 4 Persimmons
- 2 Apples
- 2 cups Milk
- ¼ cup Butter melted
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2.5 cups All purpose flour
For Saffron Butter Sauce
- ¼ cup Butter Melted
- 2 tablespoon All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 6 strands Saffron
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Sugar
For the Persimmon Apple Pudding
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Grease 10 inch spring form pan.
- In a blender or food-processor, puree persimmon and apple along with milk, and add the puree to a large mixing bowl.4 Persimmons, 2 Apples, 2 cups Milk
- To this, add melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, salt, and baking soda, and mix well using a hand-held blender.¼ cup Butter, 1 cup Sugar, 2 Eggs, 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon Cinnamon powder, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- Next, add baking powder and flour and mix until everything is combined.2 teaspoon Baking powder, 2.5 cups All purpose flour
- Transfer the batter to the pan, and then bake for 55 mins.
- Remember, we are baking a pudding, so when you insert a knife to check if it is done it will be slightly sticky but cooked.
- The pudding will rise when baked, but will fall when removed from the oven. This is normal. Set aside to cool.
For the Saffron Butter Sauce
- In a pan on medium-low heat, add butter. Once the butter turns light golden-brown, add flour and mix continuously for 2-3 minutes or until you get a nutty aroma.¼ cup Butter, 2 tablespoon All purpose flour
- To this add cardamom powder, sugar, saffron strands, heavy cream and whisk continuously until the sauce simmers and starts to thicken.1 teaspoon Cardamom powder, 6 strands Saffron, ½ cup Sugar, 1 cup Heavy cream
- Switch off the flame. Upon cooling, if the sauce is too thick, you may thin it down using more cream or milk.
- Persimmon Apple Pudding With Saffron Butter Sauce is ready. Serve and enjoy.
If you like this pudding recipe,
Don't miss to check out some of my delicious Thanksgiving and Christmas desserts, Fall and winter desserts or Holiday desserts
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***
Ive made this innumerable times, a family favorite.