Poha Chivda / Savory Beaten Rice Flakes is a very healthy, versatile and addictive snack packed with full of flavor -- sweet and spicy, making it a great substitute for chips. This recipe is vegan and gluten free and can be prepared in less than 15 minutes..
Poha is also a great food that can be used during your weight loss journey to keep you full and reduce your hunger pangs. The recipe that I have shared here is healthy because it calls for very little oil and it is also low in calorie. Poha is called flattened rice / beaten rice / rice flakes in English, aval in Telugu, attukulu in Tamil, avalakki in Kannada and povu in Konkani.
I like to call this recipe versatile as the ingredients here can be altered as per individual's taste. This time I had only almonds available in my pantry and I have added them.
You can use a combination of cashew nuts, peanuts, raisins, and almonds. If you are coconut lover you can also add in dry coconut slices. And if you are big fan of curry leaves (kadi patta / karibevu) feel free to add that as well !
My mother in law sun dries the poha for couple of hours. This makes the poha crunchier. Now just add in all the other seasonings to it and mix. But here in USA (specially in winter) I first roast the poha for 2 to 3 minutes to get that crunchier texture.
Some tips that I would love to share before you start :
- Use non-stick pan or thick bottom pan to prepare this recipe.
- Use spices, dry fruits and nuts as per your taste in the recipe.
- When dry roasting the poha do not over crowd the pan at once. You may not get the crunchier texture. See that the poha can be spread evenly.
- Make sure the flame is on low once the pan is hot. Else the poha will get burnt very soon.
- Toss or mix gently once you add the poha, else it might break.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Ingredients for Poha Chivda
Thin poha / Flattened rice - 2 cups
Coconut oil / Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Green chile / Serrano pepper finely chopped - 1
Ginger grated - 1 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
Almonds / Cashews / Peanuts chopped - 2 to 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Red chile powder - ¼ tsp
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 2 tsp
Steps to prepare Poha Chivda
- Heat a pan on medium high heat. Once the pan is hot switch the flame to low.
- To this add poha and dry roast for 2 to 3 minutes till the poha becomes crispy/crunchy.
- Transfer the roasted poha to a plate.
- In the same pan add coconut oil. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter add green chile, ginger and curry leaves(optional) and saute for 2 minutes till the moisture goes off from ginger and green chile.
- Next add chana dal, almonds (cashews / peanuts), cumin seeds and dry coconut slices (optional) and saute till they become light golden in color and crispy.
- Now add hing/asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chile powder, salt and sugar.
- To this immediately add the roasted poha and mix / toss lightly till everything is well incorporated.
- Let the chivda cool down completely. Store this in air tight container.
- Poha Chivda is now ready. Serve it as a tea time snack or munch whenever needed and enjoy!
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***