Diwali Snacks Recipes - Diwali is incomplete without snacks that include dry snacks or namkeens, chaats, and some simple savory bites. I have covered all of them here. All you have to do is pick up your favorite item from each category along with some interesting and unique Diwali Sweets & Dessert Recipes, plan your menu and surprise your guests.
What is Diwali?
Diwali, also called the Deepavali festival, signifies the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and hope over despair.
This festival is the most popular and my favorite Indian festival, which is celebrated on Monday, 24th October 2022. I hope you guys are excited and getting ready to celebrate this festival of lights with your family and friends.
What is the best food for Diwali?
Some of the best food you can prepare to make your Diwali special are
- Pakora or Pakoda
- Special Paneer recipe
- Masala cashews or peanuts
- Aloo Bonda or Batata Vada
Below I have shared the recipe for all of them. These are just the savory list. If you want Diwali sweets and desserts, check this out, where I share more than 100 recipes.
Make ahead and store North Indian and South Indian snacks
In this post, I have added dry namkeens or dry snacks that can be made ahead of time and stored in airtight containers for more than 15 days. You don't even have to reheat it. A few of them can also be a great gift box idea.
For some snacks like chaats, the preparation can be made a day before and stored in the refrigerator. This completely reduces the stress of making several items at once for a Diwali dinner party. All you will have to do is, just when you are ready to serve, mix as instructed in the recipe.
If you are looking for Gujarati, Bengali, Maharashtrian, South Indian, or North Indian snacks for Diwali (Deepawali), you are at the right place. I have got you covered.
My main goal is to make your task easier as you plan to entertain your family and friends during this festival. Each of these recipes will be a super hit at your home, and the praises and compliments you get will make you happy.
Added bonus for you if you are here. Check out the list of some special sweet recipes that can be prepared during the occasion of Deepavali.
You can also check out fasting or upvas recipes or vrat ka khana for Karwa Chauth 2022 (Karwa Chauth)
And don't forget some of these snack recipes can also be used for your upcoming tailgating events, game nights, potlucks, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas holiday parties!
I agree Diwali is the time of the year to have a lot of sweets, but there is also room for spicy and flavorful chaats. Agree?
I have not met a person who dislikes chaat (street food) in India. So to make any tea party or dinner party special, I always add a couple of chats recipes. Here are a few of them that you can try during Diwali
- Crispy Samosa
- Aloo Pyaz Kachori
- Batata Vada (Aloo Bonda)
- Dahi Bhalla (Instant and Traditional version)
- Vada Pav
- Churmuri Chaat (Bhel Puri)
- Dahi Aloo Chaat
- Aloo Chana Chaat
- Banana Pakora
- Mirchi Bajji
- Pav Bhaji
- Aloo Tikki
- Dahi Poha
- Instant Sabudana Fries
- Mini Veg Puff
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Traditional Sabudana Vada
Diwali Faral, Dry Snacks & Namkeens
Below is a list of Diwali Faral that can also be called dry snacks or namkeen. These can be made ahead of time and stored in the container. For a traditional and authentic taste, I have deep-fried them. To make them healthier, you can always bake or air fry them.
- 3 ingredient Banana Chips
- Aloo Bhujia or Potato Sev
- Masala Cashews or Roasted Kaju (3 ways)
- Butter Chakli or Butter Murukku
- Samo Rice Chakli
- Crispy Nippattu
- Masala Peanuts
Paneer & Aloo Recipes
Small reunions or get-togethers are often kept during Diwali. A party can be made special when there are unique and interesting recipes with your favorite ingredients like paneer, aloo (potatoes)
- Peri peri Paneer with Cheese Sauce
- Paneer Pepper Dry
- Cajun Potatoes
- Paneer in Garlic Cream Sauce
- Tandoori Potatoes
- Dominos Taco Mexicana
- Flaky Potato Mushroom Pies
- Honey Chili Potatoes
- Loaded French Fries
Diwali Snacks Recipes | Easy Diwali Party Food Ideas with Aloo Bhujia or Sev
- 1 Sev maker, chakli or murukku press
- 1 Pan for frying
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 cup Chickpea flour / Besan
- 1 tablespoon Rice flour
- ½ teaspoon Red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida or Hing
- 1 tablespoon Oil for dough and more for frying
- Peel the skin of potatoes, cut them into cubes and wash them.2 Potatoes
- Cook the potatoes in any way desired. I have just sprinkled water, covered it th a lid, and microwaved the potatoes for 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook potato cubes in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes or pressure cook them for 2 whistles.
- Mash cooked potatoes once they have cooled down. This should yield approx 1 cup of mashed potatoes
- Heat oil on medium flame in a heavy-bottomed frying pan while preparing the dough.1 tablespoon Oil for dough and more for frying
- To the mashed potato, add the chickpea flour, rice flour, chilli powder, chat masala, salt, turmeric powder, hing, 1 tablespoon of hot oil - and mix well to form a soft and sticky dough.1 cup Chickpea flour / Besan, 1 tablespoon Rice flour, ½ teaspoon Red chile powder, 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1 teaspoon Salt, ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder, ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida or Hing
- The moisture content of the potato is sufficient here. So please do not add any water. If you find it difficult to knead, then just grease your palm with oil and continue kneading.
- Grease the entire inner surface of the sev maker with oil. Place enough dough in the sev maker and close it.
- Once the oil is hot, hold the sev maker over the frying pan and start turning or pressing the handle (depending on how it works) and move it in a circular motion. Stop when you complete one round.
- Fry them on both sides on a medium flame till the oil stops sizzling and they become golden brown in color. Keep flipping it so that it gets uniform color.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer this to paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Repeat the process for remaining dough.
- Aloo Bhujia is now ready. Crush them using hands and store them in air tight container. This will remain fresh for at least 2 weeks. Use it as desired.
When is Diwali 2022 in USA?
Diwali 2022 is celebrated on Monday, 24th October 2022 in the USA, India, Canada, and worldwide.
When is Karwa chauth or Karva Chauth 2022?
Karwa Chauth in on Thursday 13th October 2022