Toasted Bread Pudding popularly known as double ka meetha or shahi tukda is a very delicious dessert where the bread is toasted or fried and soaked in milk with saffron, cardamom and nuts. This is so tasty that its very hard to resist.
I have prepared this using Monkey Bread. The bread you use for this recipe must be couple of days old. For healthier version, I have toasted the bread in my recipe. You can always deep fry the bread in ghee and use it.
Preparation time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
Ingredients for Toasted Bread Pudding
Milk - 3 cups
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
Saffron threads - 2 to 3
Almonds chopped - 1 tbsp
Cashews chopped - 1 tbsp
Butter - ½ tablespoon + 1 tbsp
Bread slices - 4 to 5
Steps to prepare Toasted Bread Pudding
- Melt butter in non-stick pan. Add cashews and almonds and saute till it becomes golden brown in color. You can add your favorite nuts / dry fruits.
- Add milk, sugar, saffron strands and on medium high flame continuously stir till it reduces to half. During this process, keep scraping off the sides of the pan and make sure that it is incorporated back into the liquid(reducing milk).
- You will now have nice creamy sweet condensed milk called rabdi.
- Heat the pan / griddle. Cut the bread into desired shape (triangle, square..). Toast the bread using butter in low flame on both the sides till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Place the toasted bread on serving platter. Top it with rabdi prepared and garnish it with some more nuts.
- Toasted Bread Pudding is now ready. You can serve immediately or place it in refrigerator and serve chilled. I love it both the ways :-). Enjoy!
- I have used whole milk in this recipe
- Vary the amount of butter and nuts as per desired.