Valval or Vegetables In Coconut Milk is a very popular and delicious no onion no garlic Konkani recipe. This is vegan and gluten free and tastes the best when served with steamed rice. This dish is worth try!
The outcome of this dish that comes from the combined flavors and sweetness of coconut milk and vegetables is just amazing. My mom and mil prepare this using fresh coconut milk. I have used store bought one in the recipe. This dish is my family's favorite.
The vegetables that goes into this dish are : beans, carrot, ivy gurd (tendle), potatoes, sweet potatoes (kananga), pumpkin (dudde), capsicum (donnemirsanga), yellow cucumber (magge), Indian yam (surnu), raw banana (kele).
I would suggest you to add more variety of vegetables so that flavors of all vegetables combine and enhances the taste. You can serve immediately and if the curry remains don’t miss to try it out the next day. You will love it even more 🙂
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 5
Ingredients for Valval
Vegetables - 5 to 6 cups of your choice
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Cashews - 2 tbsp
Green chilies - 5 - 6 slits
Coconut milk - 3 cups
All purpose flour / Maida - 1 tablespoon (Rice flour for gluten free version)
Dried red chile - 2
Vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon (non-vegan version can use butter )
Cumin seeds - 1 ½ tsp
Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
Curry leaves - 6
Steps to prepare Valval
- I have used pumpkin, potatoes, sweet potato, ivy gourd (tendle) carrot, pumpkin, yellow cucumber (magge), capsicum in my recipe.
- Wash and chop the vegetables to the desired shape. I have chopped all the vegetables in cubes except the carrot that is chopped into circles.
- Add pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, carrot, 1 tablespoon of cashew, raisins and water so that vegetables are just covered and bring it to nice boil, for about 5 minutes.
- Add ivy gourd, yellow cucumber , 1 ½ cup of coconut milk and bring this again to a nice boil. Basically, we are adding vegetables that take a longer time to cook first.
- Grind 1 tablespoon of cashew with remaining coconut milk. I have done this to enhance the flavor. (This is optional)
- Add all purpose flour to the ground paste and mix so that there are no lumps.
- Add this to the gravy along with capsicum and salt to taste and bring it to nice boil. Keep stirring it continuously.
- Heat butter or oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds. when they splutter, add the red chile and curry leaves. switch off the flame. Add this tempering to the gravy.
- Valval is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.