Berry Pie is a delightful treat bursting with flavors from the berries and homemade buttery golden crust. This pie is perfect treat for the 4th of July!
Pie is a perfect way to enjoy fruits that are in season 🙂 As you all know by now, I am a berry lover, and I love baking pies that contain berries or other seasonal fruits. I make the crust at home as I love the process of doing it. You can simply use the store bought crust, and they taste delicious as well. Since July 4th is around the corner, I have created a delicious patriotic pie 🙂 It’s always good to have a fancy looking dessert for major holiday gatherings such as 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc., isn’t it ?
I have noted down the way I have done it, so that I don’t mess up things when I prepare it again. Decorate the crust the way you love as its always fun to do, or keep it as simple like this strawberry galette or rustic apple blackberry pie.
If you are interested in making this patriotic pie then here you go..
- Making the Pie Crust :
- Prepare the filling :
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions :I always love to make some extra dough so that I can create some different shapes and decorate or just serve some pie fries with leftover dough for tea or coffee. This time I have prepared an interesting recipe with leftover dough which I will be sharing soon. So stay tuned!
- Roll the dough and crimp the edges if desired : I have used 9 inch pie pan for the recipe. Roll the dough into 12 or 13 inch round and transfer it to pie plate. Press firmly against the bottom and edges. Crimp up the edges or simply press using fork if desired. Trim off any extra dough.
- Spoon the filling into the crust : I have placed two graham crackers at 90 degree to create 2 sections in the crust. Filled 1/4 with blueberry filling and the rest with the strawberry filling 🙂
- Cut out the stars and stripes : Roll other half of the dough. Using pizza cutter, cut them to stripes of desired thickness and using cookie cutter, cut them into stars of desired size. Any extra stars and stripes can be used for decorating or served as side later. Keep this on separate parchment paper. Brush it with egg wash and sprinkle some sugar.
- I have baked the stars and stripes separately (for about 8 to 12 minutes, respectively) just to avoid any juices from the berries bubbling on top of them and staining it 🙂 But make sure you place these on top of the baked pie as soon as the pie is out of the oven.
- Bake the stars and stripes for 8 and 12 minutes, respectively or till you get the desired color.
American Flag Pie is ready. Don’t you think this is easy, plus the process is even more fun. Ask your kids (or your friends) to form stripes and stars using pizza- and cookie-cutters – a perfect way to get everyone involved in the Independence Day celebrations.
As you all know by now w
Preparation time : 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves : 1 pie
Ingredients for Berry Pie
(You can even use store bought pie dough)
For the Blueberry Filling
Blueberry – 3/4 cup
Corn starch – 1/2 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
For Strawberry Filling
Strawberry chopped – 1 pound
Corn starch – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Salt – pinch
Steps to prepare Berry Pie
Step I (Prepare the dough. If using store bought dough, ignore this step.)
- In another bowl, add in blueberries, corn starch, sugar, vanilla extract and toss.
Step III (Assemble the pie)
- Make the crimp on the edges if desired and trim off any excess. Egg wash the edges and sprinkle some sugar.
- I have placed graham cracker just to divide the crust into 2 sections ( 1/4 for blueberry and 3/4 for strawberry)
- Spoon the blueberry filling into 1/4 portion of the crust and strawberry filling to the remaining larger portion and carefully remove the graham cracker. Keep this aside.
- Roll out the remaining half portion of the dough and cut them to form stripes of the flag and using cookie cutter cut the stars of desired size. Brush these with egg wash and sprinkle some sugar. Place this on parchment paper. (If you have any left over dough make extra stripes and stars as they will be tasty or simply plastic wrap them and place it in refrigerator. An interesting recipe that uses any left over pie dough coming up soon, so stay tuned!)
- I like to bake my stripes and stars separately and then place it on the pie as soon as they are out from the oven.
- Bake the pie on the lower rack of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or till the edges are brown and filling is bubbling.
- Place the stars and stripes on the top rack of the oven and bake the stripes for 12 minutes and stars for about 8 minutes or until it is done.
- Once the pie is out of the oven immediately place stars and stripes. Allow the pie to cool completely.
- Berry Pie is now ready. Serve and enjoy. Happy 4th of July in advance!!
- The amount of ice cold water required may vary depending on the quality of flour and weather condition. So add 1 or 2 tbsp at a time.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***