Strawberry Galette is a simple yet so impressive and delicious dessert where the fresh, sweet and juicy strawberries are encased in golden buttery homemade pie crust. These are perfect for brunch or as a dessert after every meal. Another crowd pleaser or party worthy fruit dessert that I highly recommend to give a try.
I hope you all know my love for strawberries by now, I make it so often that from once a week its become 2 times a week. I can't wait to share many interesting recipes that I prepared with these beauties. This is one of the easiest dessert that I have prepared so far. I have prepared everything from scratch - including dough for the pie crust. But to make it even more simple, say if you prefer to assemble it in less than 10 minutes, you can use store bought pie dough.
To start off with, the galette dough is very similar to any pie dough. Combine the dry ingredients and add in cubed cold butter and bring it all together using a fork or a pastry cutter. Small lumps of butter here and there is completely ok, in fact preferable. Then add in ice cold water little by little, a table spoon at a time, and gently knead until dough is formed.
Next the sliced strawberries are tossed in corn starch to absorb any moisture and thicken your filling as they bake. The amount of sugar you add depends on the sweetness of the fruit. Then give an additional flavor with lemon zest and vanilla, and you are done. Feel free to add any herbs if desired.
You can brush the crust with egg wash or heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar to get beautiful golden color. Bake this for about 35 to 45 minutes or until crust develops nice golden color and the fruit is bubbly. I love the juices released from strawberries. These can later be used as a glaze once they are out from the oven.
No pie pan is required to prepare this dessert. You just need a flat baking surface - so even a pizza pan or a cookie sheet will do the job.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Bake time : 45 minutes
Serves : 8
Follow me on Instagram and tag me with #cookwithkushi so that I get a chance to see all the recipes you make and give it a ♥.
Ingredients for Strawberry Galette
For the Dough
All purpose flour - 1 ½ cup
Cold butter cubed - 1 stick ( ½ cup)
Salt - ½ tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Ice cold water - 9 tablespoon divided
For the Strawberry Galettes (Filling)
Strawberries sliced - 1 pound
Con starch - 2 tbsp
Sugar - ⅔ cup
Vanilla extract - 1 ½ tsp
Salt - ¼ tsp
Lemon zest - ½ lemon
Egg - 1 for egg wash (for egg less version you can brush with cream or whole milk.)
Sugar - 3 tablespoon to 4 tablespoon to sprinkle on top
Steps to prepare Strawberry Galette
Step I (Prepare the dough )
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter pieces using a fork or pastry cutter until butter is evenly distributed. Small speckles or pieces of butter combined with four, sugar and salt is what we are aiming for.
- Sprinkle ice cold water over this flour mixture 1 or 2 tablespoon at a time and gently mix it using your hands till it comes together to form a dough ball. You may also use a food processor to complete the above two steps.
- Warp the dough in plastic wrap and keep it in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Step II (Prepare the filling)
- In another bowl, add in strawberries, corn starch, sugar (check tip section), vanilla extract, salt, lemon zest and toss.
Step III (Assemble the galette)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Unwrap the dough onto a floured surface and using rolling pin roll it into 12 or 14 inch round, and about ⅛th inch thick. Transfer this to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pile strawberry filling at the center of the pie leaving 2 inch from the side.
- Gently fold over the edges in an overlapping fashion and pleat the dough.
- Whisk an egg and brush it on the folded galette crust, and then sprinkle it with sugar.
- Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown in color, fruit is bubbly and cooked.
- Strawberry Galette is now ready. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy
- The amount of sugar can be increased or reduced depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
- You can combine berries instead of using only strawberries
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***