This Black Bean Burger is thick, healthy and hearty, quick and easy to make fool proof vegetarian recipe. Even meat eaters are going to love this low calorie food for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Try this simple veg burger recipe at home and I bet you will never go back to the frozen section to buy those burger patties again. You will also be so proud of yourself for creating the best meatless burger ever. This can also be a great accompaniment for upcoming tailgating events or game nights or potluck or Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas holiday parties!
Are black bean burgers healthy??
These are high in fiber, vitamin, and low in fat and cholesterol compared to any other vegetarian or non-vegetarian burgers (hamburger, beef burger, chicken burgers, etc.).
How do you make black bean burgers from scratch?
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree F. Spread out the precooked black beans (e.g. from a can) and bake for 15 minutes so that it slightly dries out and avoids from making your burger mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic cloves and saute till translucent. To this add bell peppers and cook till it becomes soft. Blot the mixture with kitchen paper-towels to absorb any excess liquid released after cooking if necessary. Add the spices and mix.
- If you have roasted cashews use it directly. Else dry roast cashews and pulse in food processor to get small chunks.
- In a large bowl, add onion mixture, cashews, black beans, cheese and mash using masher or fork leaving few chunks of black beans. Chunks of black beans here and there would be the highlight. You can even pulse the black beans in a food processor and then add it to above mixture.
- Next, add egg for binding, ketchup, bread crumbs, salt to taste and mix everything till combined.
- You can make patties and store it in freezer for later use or use it immediately. The time to cook patties depends on how thick or thin they are. Ideally ⅓ to ½ cup of mixture for the patties produces patties of correct thickness. The thickness decides how effectively they are cooked through and if they are moist enough. No one likes dry baked/grilled burgers.
- You can bake or grill these patties (indoors or outdoors). Instructions are given in the recipe notes.
What spices goes well with burgers?
Cumin, chile powder, and garlic powder. For additional flavors you can even add some hot sauce like sriracha and Worcestershire sauce. Also, feel free to add pepper powder or finely chopped jalapeno for extra kick.
How to avoid or prevent preparing a mushy black bean burger or any veggie burger?
Veggies, beans, or tofu hold a lot of water which gets released during cooking. So to avoid mushy patties, its always a great idea to dry them before adding to your burger mix. You may air dry, bake, saute, or use high-quality kitchen paper-towels to remove excess moisture.
How do I keep my burgers patties from falling apart?
- Make sure you remove any excess moisture from vegetables and beans you are going to use. Use proper binders.
- To avoid any stress at the last minute, you can make the patties ahead of time and freeze it. Use as and when required.
- Flip patties as little as possible, i.e. less frequently. Let one side be crisp and browned before flipping so that you have one firm (cooked) surface. I make sure that the grilling-spatula touches the burger only twice during the grilling process - (1) midway through the cooking process to flip and (2) to remove the cooked burger from the grill.
- Avoid adding any liquid ingredients unless and until required.
- Do not spend too much time in shaping burger. Just make the patties and cook or freeze.
How do you bind patties without eggs?
Some other binders that I know that really works well are flours like wheat flour, oatmeal, chickpea flour, or even bread crumbs. Feel free to use even mashed potatoes or mashed avocados or mashed sweet potatoes.
Can you make burgers or patties ahead of time?
- You can make the patties mixture and refrigerate upto 3 days or make burger patties and freeze it in zip lock bag or container for upto 3 months. Use as and when required.
- Just make sure you place parchment paper between each patties and they are refrigerated immediately after being shaped.
- You need not thaw the frozen burger patties if you are in a rush. Just cook the patties for few extra minutes.
Some of the best grilling or barbeque recipes to try this summer :
- Chicken Tikka
- Tandoori Style Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Margherita Sandwich
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Tandoori Cauliflower
Detailed recipe for Best and Easy Black Bean Veggie Burger
Best Black Bean Veggie Burger
- 2 cups Black beans , canned or cooked
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil , plus more for brushing
- 1 medium Onion , chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic cloves , finely chopped
- ½ medium Green bell pepper or Capsicum, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chile powder
- Salt , to taste
- ½ cup Cashews roasted
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup Bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon Tomato ketchup
- 1 large Egg (check tips for substitute)
- Salt , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree F. Spread the cooked black beans evenly on baking pan and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out. This is mainly done to avoid any mushy burger.2 cups Black beans
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic cloves and saute till onions become translucent.1 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 medium Onion, 4 cloves Garlic cloves
- Add bell pepper and cook till it becomes soft. Switch off the flame. Use paper-towels to blot and remove any excess moisture. Add garlic powder, chile powder, salt to taste. Mix well.½ medium Green bell pepper, ½ teaspoon Garlic powder, ½ teaspoon Red chile powder, Salt
- In a food processor, add roasted cashews and pulse till you get small chunks.½ cup Cashews
- In a large bowl, add cooked onion mixture, roasted cashews, black beans, cheese - and mash using a fork leaving some chunks of black beans. You can even pulse black beans in food processor and add it to the mixture. Make sure you leave few chunks of black beans.½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Now add breadcrumbs, egg, tomato ketchup, salt to taste and mix everything together till well combined.½ cup Bread crumbs, 2 tablespoon Tomato ketchup, 1 large Egg, Salt
- This mixture can be used immediately or stored in air tight container in refrigerator for upto 3 days.
Step V - Cooking alternatives
- In the oven : Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Form 8 patties from beans mixture, i.e. about ⅓ cup each. Place these patties on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush it with oil. Bake for 20 minutes total flipping it at 10 minutes and brushing once more with oil if desired.
- To grill the patties outdoors : Place the patties (shaped as above) on greased aluminum foil and grill it for approx 8 minutes on each side. Use extra oil if desired. Medium high heat would be the best choice.
- To grill the patties indoors: You can also cook the patties on cast iron skillet or non stick pan. Heat oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot, place the patties - approximately 3 to 4 patties depending on size of the pan. Cook on one side till it is crisp and brown - about 5 minutes. Flip and cook on other side for approx another 5 minutes till it is browned.
- Black bean burgers are ready. Serve it with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
- You can substitute egg with ¼ cup of mashed sweet potato or avocado or potato to make it vegetarian and additionally also skip cheese to make it VEGAN.
- You can also substitute ketchup with mayo or tangy BBQ sauce.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. I like to serve with mashed avocado, sriracha mayo (mix 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce with 3 tablespoon of mayonnaise), lettuce, tomatoes, onions.
- If you want to have a low-calorie meal, then simply eat these cooked patties/burgers with salad instead of buns.
- If you have any leftover patties or mixture, place it in refrigerator and use it by 2-3 days.
- You can make these burger patties ahead of time and freeze it in zip lock bag or container. Use as and when required. Just make sure you place parchment paper between each patties.
- For additional flavors you can even add some hot sauce like sriracha and Worcestershire sauce. Also, feel free to add pepper powder or finely chopped jalapeno for extra kick.
- Whenever you plan to store an uncooked product for future use - either in a refrigerator or freezer it is important to ensure that (1) sterilized kitchen gadgets and storing products are used, (2) use sterilized or disposable or food-grade gloves, (3) once prepped, transfer the prepped-food immediately to the refrigerator or freezer.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***
This is hands down the best veggie burger I have ever had. I like to try a ton of recipes for them and this one tops them all.
This black bean burger is amazing! I love the added cashews and green pepper!
I'm trying to reduce the amount of meat my family eats so this recipe will be made on repeat. It's perfect for summer cooking too.
I made these burgers for dinner last night and they were insanely delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the reicpe!