Cauliflower Potato Pie is a delicious vegan or vegetarian savory pie that is hearty and satisfying with a crispy crust loaded with flavorful filling. This pie will be a super hit at your dinner table this Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday. The recipe is vegan, flourless and gluten free.
This pie or bake is so tasty that you don't have to wait for any special occasion. I am sure you will prepare it for dinner throughout the year. You can call this pie with different names - Tandoori pie, vegetable pie, cauliflower broccoli potato pie, homemade pie crust using potatoes and canned beans, vegan pie, vegetarian pie, cauliflower broccoli potato bake, vegan tart and more 🙂
Savory Pie Crust
The pie crust is made using potato and beans. Blind baking the crust prior to adding the filling avoid it from becoming soggy. At the end of the baking process the crust achieves perfect level of crispiness and your home fills with wonderful aroma of baked potatoes and roasted spices.
Savory Pie Filling
The pie filling consists of finely chopped (or grated) cauliflower and broccoli, both when baked take any dish to the next level.
If you are looking for meatless recipe to serve as a main dish this Holiday season or for upcoming Thanksgiving, Christmas or any holiday party you should definitely give this recipe a try. It a truly delightful way to include cauliflower and broccoli in your diet.
Many of my close friends and colleagues are vegetarians, and surprisingly its quite the opposite when it comes to my husbands circle. Therefore whenever I invite my friends for lunch or dinner I am always on the lookout to for interesting vegan recipes. About a year back I had stumbled upon a delicious vegan pie recipe and I had immediately tried it my own variations and my husband loved it very much.
Since then I have experimented with similar pies using several types of crusts and filling. The version below is my husbands favorite, as the flavors are bold and refreshing, and the crust is nice and crispy. He had picked this as the main vegetarian dish for a recent dinner party, and luckily I had prepared more than one pie. It was such a big hit that everyone went for second servings.
Well, since Thanksgiving is around the corner I thought this recipe would be helpful for all those who are looking out for vegan and gluten free entree recipes to wow your guests. This cauliflower potato pie is so hearty and comforting that it can be prepared even for a weekend brunch or weeknight dinner.
Savory Pie or Vegetarian Pie or Vegan and Gluten Free Pie or Meatless Pie or Vegan Tart variations and substitutions
I have used great northern beans or canned in the recipe, but feel free to use any beans of your choice. Black beans or kidney beans also taste good. If you like combination of sweet and savory, you can even use sweet potato instead of potatoes to make pie crust. I have experimented with sweet potato crust, cauliflower crust - they all tasted great in their own way!
For the pie filling I have combined broccoli and cauliflower this time, but the first time I prepared it, I remember I had only used cauliflower and some cheese. I have also tried using other veggies as filling, and believe me the recipe is very forgiving. Do give this recipe a try and do not forget to let me know how it turned out.
Detailed recipe for Vegan Cauliflower Potato Pie or Cauliflower Potato Broccoli Bake
Vegan Cauliflower Potato Pie | Cauliflower Broccoli Potato Bake | Savory Pie
For the Pie crust or Pie base
- 2 medium Potatoes
- ¾ cup Great northern beans (use canned or cooked beans of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Tandoori masala or Curry powder or garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne powder or red chile powder or paprika, adjust to taste
For the Pie filling
- ¼ medium Broccoli
- ¼ medium Cauliflower
- 1 Green chile or serrano or jalapeno, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chile powder or cayenne or paprika (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil Butter or Vegan butter, plus additional to grease the pie pan
- ½ teaspoon Salt
For pie garnish and side
- ½ medium Tomato chopped
- 2 strands Cilantro or Coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese or vegan cheese
- ½ cup Pasta sauce or Marinara
- I have soaked and pressure cooked great northern beans for this recipe. You can use even canned ones. Also feel free to use any beans of your choice. (see tip)¾ cup Great northern beans
- Peel and chop potatoes to medium chunks. Cover it with lid and cook it in a microwave safe bowl for about 4-5 minutes. Cook the potatoes in the way you prefer.2 medium Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the bowl, add the cooked potatoes (from Step 1), beans (from Step 1), salt, tandoori masala, and red chile powder.1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Tandoori masala, 1 teaspoon Cayenne powder
- Using a potato masher (or hands), mash until smooth.
- Grease a tart (or pie) pan with butter or oil and lightly dust with flour.2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- To the greased tart pan, transfer the mashed potato and bean mixture. Using your fingers spread the mixture to form a base (and sides) approx 5 mm thick
- Spread a parchment paper large enough to cover the base and sides of the pie crust. Fill with baking beans (or uncooked rice) and blind bake this for about 15 minutes. Then, remove the baking rice and parchment paper, and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.
- While the base is baking, finely chop florets of cauliflower and broccoli in a food processor. It should have the texture of broken rice or coarse semolina.¼ medium Cauliflower, ¼ medium Broccoli
- Transfer this to a non-stick pan on medium-high heat, along with 2 tablespoon of vegan butter.2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- Add chopped green chile, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt, and sauté for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.1 Green chile, ½ teaspoon Garlic powder, ½ teaspoon Red chile powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Once the base is ready, remove it from oven.
- Spread the filling on top of the crust. Now, bake this in a 350 degrees F preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Immediately garnish it with chopped cilantro, and grated vegan (parmesan) cheese.2 strands Cilantro, 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cauliflower Potato Pie is now ready. Serve this with some extra fixings of tomatoes, freshly grated vegan parmesan cheese, and some spicy pasta sauce.½ cup Pasta sauce, ½ medium Tomato
- If you do not have canned beans soak ½ cup dry-beans for 6-8 hours, preferably overnight. Cook on medium heat in a pressure cooker (with water approx 2 cups of water) for 2 whistles. Remove from flame and let the pressure release completely on its own while cooling.
- You can substitute great northern beans with black beans, chickpeas, black eyed peas, kidney beans. the taste may vary accordingly
- You can also cook the potatoes in pressure cooker along with the beans or in a pot or any preferred way. You should cook the potatoes till its easy to mash.
- Vary the spices as per your taste. My family loves it spicy. Vary the chile powder and green chile to taste.
- You can even skip broccoli and add only cauliflower to the pie.
- If you like a very crispy crust then bake for some additional 5 or 10 minutes.
- To make a spicy pasta sauce, add a pinch of cayenne, garlic powder, and salt to regular pasta sauce and simmer it in a pan on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. .
If you like this savory vegan or vegetarian pie recipe,
Don't miss to check out Vienna bread that garnered more than a million page views which makes perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. also check out other delicious side dishes recipes that can be served for lunch or dinner.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***