Cranberry Pickle also known as Cranberry Achar is spicy and tangy, finger licking condiment that is perfect accompaniment for steamed rice and most of the Indian breakfast recipes. No meals is complete without pickle.
This is one of the best way to use the fresh cranberries. This will get over in no time. You may have to make extra batches so that it lasts till the next cranberry season 🙂
This pickle can also be used as an ingredient in chutneys. Will post the recipe soon. You can also substitute cranberry with raw mango , lemon, carrot, jalapeno in the recipe or even make a mixed vegetable pickle.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Serves : 1 cup
Ingredients for Cranberry Pickle
Fresh Cranberry - 1 cup
Dried red chilies - 6 to 8
Fenugreek seeds / Methi seeds - 4 to 5
Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - ¼ tsp
Garlic clove minced - 1
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 ½ tsp
Steps to prepare Cranberry Pickle
- Wash the cranberries, add salt to it and keep it aside for 3 to 4 days.
- This is done so that the cranberries become softer. If you like it crisp or want a instant pickle then you can completely ignore step I
- Dry roast dry red chilies, methi seeds till you get aroma. Add mustard seeds, hing and turmeric powder to it. Saute and switch off the flame.
- Grind the roasted ingredients along with very little water to form thick smooth paste.
- Add this ground paste to the cranberries and mix well. Finally add oil and mix.
- Cranberry Pickle is now ready. This can be stored in air tight container and refrigerated for month upto 3 months.
- Vary the amount of dry red chilies as per your taste.
- Make sure the container you use to store the pickle is dry.
- You can vary the consistency of the pickle as desired.