This post is all about the list of some of the best, quick, and easy Indian dinner recipes for the family. Some of the simple vegetarian and vegan dinner ideas for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. The collection includes the best Indian curry, gravy, stir fry, and rice recipes that will be loved by your family.
Check here for some of the easy and healthy breakfast recipes and Indian roti recipes that can be served for dinner.
Simple Indian Vegetarian Dinner
I have 100 + traditional and authentic Indian recipes both from North Indian and South India. But in this post, I am sharing the best of the best dinner recipes that are quick and healthy to make, some popular restaurant-style recipes, and some pressure cooker and instant pot recipes that you can use as a guide to plan your weekly menu.
South Indians love to eat white or boiled rice with sambar or rasam, curry, and vegetable stir fry for a healthy meal or to make life easier; some even prepare one-pot rice recipes for dinner, and any leftovers are stored and reheated and packed for the next day lunch too. You can check my rice recipes section for more such recipes.
North Indians eat chapati or roti with sabzi, dal chawal, or khichdi for their meal. When it is a special dinner, chole bhature or makhani gravy is prepared.
Now having said that you will find a family who loves to eat idli and dosa, a popular breakfast item, and even for dinner. So if you belong to this category, check out some of the best breakfast recipes from India.
I have not categorized into North Indian dinner recipes or South Indian Dinner Recipes but have given the popular and top dinner ideas from India - vegetarian only.
While you are here, check out some of the best Indian bread recipes (roti, naan, kulcha, paratha), paneer recipes for any meal, Indian dal, and how to cook it on the stovetop or instant pot.
Popular Indian Recipes | Best Indian Foods
Some popular vegetarian Indian dishes that you can make at home easily with simple steps and basic ingredients - Includes restaurant-style paneer butter masala, healthy palak paneer, Punjabi chole or chana masala, tadka dal, mixed vegetable kadai, biryani with vegetables of your choice, khichdi with millets or lentils (dal) and rice, South Indian lemon rice (chitranna), potato-stuffed flatbread and hotel style sambar recipe.
Indian Curry and Dal Recipes
Other than popular recipes, there are some healthy and easy dal recipes and Indian curry made using a combination of vegetables that you make at home for a quick family dinner. It includes mixed vegetable dal, vegetable korma, green pead gravy with mushroom, paneer, or baby corn, restaurant-style mushroom masala, dal makhani, protein-packed low-calorie cauliflower dal, dum aloo, and aloo gobi.
Quick Dinner Recipes
If you are looking for a quick and easy one-pot meal on the stovetop, pressure cooker, or instant pot, then make protein-packed chana pulao, south Indian coconut rice, or biryani with vegetables of your choice, or make a ragi roti which is also good for your weight loss and diabetic diet or some simple raita using yogurt and okra (bhindi) or aloo.
Never forget your roots! Konkani recipes mainly include coconut and basic Indian spices, and they are always super easy to make. We make this on a daily basis. Some of the popular ones are chane gashi, tori gashi, patrode, patoli, dalitoy (karkala style), mooga gashi (moong curry), sarupkari (bean soup), human or hinga udda with potatoes.
The best food for dinner will vary based on personal preferences and dietary restrictions. Some of the best Indian recipes that can be served for dinner are rice-based dishes like biryani, pulao, and curry with vegetables of your choice served with Indian roti or steamed rice, chole, and paneer-based dishes.
Paneer butter masala, korma, chana masala, aloo gobi with any Indian bread like roti, chapati, or steamed rice, rice-based dishes like biryani, pulao or simples teamed rice with sambar, and stir fry.
A desi dinner refers to an Indian meal that is traditionally home-cooked that includes roti or chapati, rice, dal, sabzi, raita, pickle, papad, salad, and dessert.
A normal South Indian meal consists of steamed rice, rasam or sambar, stir fry, pickle, papad, and a payasam.
North Indian meal consists of chapati, sabzi, dal, chawal, raita, and a dessert.
More Indian Breakfast Recipes that can be served for dinner
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Vegetarian Indian Dinner Recipes | Simple Dinner Ideas
Ingredients for Aloo Gobi - Simple Dinner Recipe
- 2 Potatoes or Aloo, medium cubed
- 1 Cauliflower or Gobi, medium-sized cut into florets
- 1 to 1 ½ tablespoon Oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 2 Green chilies, slit
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Dry mango powder or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chile powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro or Coriander leaves chopped for garnish (more the better)
How to make the best Indian Aloo Gobi for dinner?
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add cauliflower florets and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. To this, add the cubed potatoes, a pinch of salt and continue to saute for another 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer this to a plate.2 Potatoes or Aloo, medium, 1 to 1 ½ tablespoon Oil, divided, 1 Cauliflower or Gobi, medium-sized
- To the same pan, add the remaining oil and cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, and green chilies and saute until onion becomes translucent.1 Onion, chopped, 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped, 1 inch Ginger, grated, 2 Green chilies, slit
- To this, add tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes or until they become soft.2 Tomatoes, chopped
- Add turmeric powder, dry mango powder, coriander powder, red chile powder, and garam masala powder with a pinch of salt and a splash of water, and cook this for 2 minutes.¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon Dry mango powder, 1 teaspoon Coriander powder, ½ teaspoon Red chile powder, ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder, Salt to taste
- Add the potatoes and cauliflower and toss until the mixture is coated.
- Cover and let this cook on medium-low flame for 10 to 12 minutes until the vegetables are tender but not overcooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with Indian roti, chapati or steamed rice for a quick and easy dinner.Cilantro or Coriander leaves chopped for garnish
- Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- You can sprinkle some water while cooking to prevent aloo gobi from drying out.
- Let us know your favorite Indian dinner recipe from our list.