Flavored Flatbread is a very easy to make, irresistible and a tasty bread recipe prepared using all purpose flour, wheat flour and spices. This can be served alone or with any curry of your choice for breakfast / lunch / dinner.
My family loves Naan and Kulcha and today I wanted to try out a new variation to it and ended up preparing this flavored flatbread. I tried cooking them both on the oven (tandoor) and stove top. Only difference was I rolled it medium thick when cooking in tandoor and thin on tava / griddle. Both gave good results. To make it more healthier I have used wheat flour. You can make this only with all purpose flour if desired.
Preparation time : 2 hours
Serves : around 15 small flatbreads
Ingredients for Flavored Flatbread
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Salt - 1 ½ tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Active dry yeast - 1 packet (7g)
Olive oil - 1 ½ tbsp
Warm water - ½ cup
Warm milk - ¼ cup
Coriander leaves - 5 strands
Dried Mint leaves - 1 tsp
Garlic cloves - 5
Ginger - ½ inch
Green chilli - 3
Red pepper flakes - ½ tsp
Butter / Olive oil - 3 tablespoon to brush the cooked flatbreads
Steps to prepare Flavored Flatbread
- In bowl, add warm water, sugar, active dry yeast, salt, olive oil and mix. Let it sit for about 15 minutes till the yeast activates. This mixture will bubble.
- Finely chop the coriander leaves and green chillis. Grate the garlic cloves and ginger.
- Add this finely chopped ingredients to the yeast mixture along with other ingredients (all purpose flour, wheat flour, mint leaves, red pepper flakes) and mix using a wooden spoon to form soft dough.
- Knead it for 5 minutes on the lightly floured surface. Place the dough on the bowl cover it and keep it in warm place for 1 hour or until it is doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degree F.
- To make the flavored bread, dust the working surface. Take small ball of dough and roll it to the desired shape with medium thickness.
- Place this on the baking tray and repeat the process for remaining dough.
- Switch the oven to broil mode.
- Bake the flatbread for 1 to 2 minutes and then flip on the other side and bake for few seconds.
- Remove and brush it nicely with butter.
- Flavored Flatbread is ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- Take small ball of dough and roll the way you make naan.
- Once the tava / griddle is hot cook the bread using butter on both the sides till they become golden in color.