Garlic Basil Flatbread is easy to make, vegan, flavorful and delicious recipe prepared using basic ingredients from your kitchen.
To make it healthier, I have combined wheat flour and all purpose flour in my recipe.This can be served as side with your favorite gravy / curries or can also be used to prepare a flat bread pizza or as a side for hummus. I have cooked this both in oven and on stove top and I like it both the ways. The taste remains the same but the texture and color will vary accordingly.
The flavor that comes from the sauteed garlic and basil combined with spiciness from the jalapenos / green chilies makes this bread truly irresistible one.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Resting time : 30 minutes to 1 hour
Serves : 7 flatbread
Ingredients for Garlic Basil Flatbread
Active dry yeast - 1 packet ( 2 ¼ tsp)
Warm water - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 tsp
Vegetable oil - 1 tsp
Garlic cloves finely chopped - 5
Dried basil leaves - 1 ½ tsp
Jalapeno / Green chilies chopped - 1
Salt - 1 tsp
Whole wheat flour - ¾ cup
All purpose flour - 1 ½ cup
Steps to prepare Garlic Basil Flatbread
- In a bowl, add warm water, sugar, and mix well.
- Sprinkle yeast. Cover and keep it undisturbed for 10 minutes. Let the yeast activate.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add the garlic and saute till it becomes light in color.
- Add the sauteed garlic, jalapenos, dried basil leaves, salt, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and mix to form a dough.
- Transfer this to working surface and knead it to form a soft and elastic dough. Add in extra flour if the dough is sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl. Cover it and let it rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into equal portions.
- Take each piece of dough and roll it to a circle of desired size.
For stove top:
- Preheat a non-stick pan. Once its hot, place the bread and cook it without touching for 1 to 2 minutes till you see the bubbles.
- Flip and cook it on other side for another 2 minutes or until puffed up.
For oven bake:
- Preheat the oven to 500 degree F and put it on broil mode.
- Arrange the rolled bread on baking sheet or silicon mat.
- Place this in the oven. Keep it for 2 to 3 minutes and then flip and cook on other side. The time it takes may depend on your oven.
- You can apply oil, butter or cream as soon as you take the bread from stove top or oven if desired.
- Garlic Basil Flatbread is now ready. Serve and enjoy.
- Use any herb of your choice.
- The amount of flour will vary depending on the brand of flour and weather conditions.
- You can make this bread using only all purpose flour.