Kale Pesto Pizza is a must do dish on your dinner table this thanksgiving for your vegetarian friends.
The crunchiness of the nuts, bitter and spicy flavor of kale with your favorite cheese toppings refreshes your palate and is good pairing with glass of wine.
Preparation time : 1 hour
Serves : 8 slices
Ingredients for Kale Pesto Pizza
Curly Kale leaves - 3
Garlic cloves - 4
Cashews - 2 tbsp
Almond - 2 tbsp
Olive oil - ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon for garnishing
Parmesan grated - ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon for garnishing
Warm water - ½ cup
Sugar - ½ tsp
Active dry yeast - 1 teaspoon (½ packet)
Salt - ½ tsp
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Onion sliced lengthwise - ½
Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp
Tomato chopped - ½
Green chile chopped - 2
Mozzarella - ¾ cup
Steps to prepare Kale Pesto Pizza
- In a bowl with warm water, add sugar and yeast and let it sit until yeast is activated.
- Now add salt, flour, and knead it until you get a smooth elastic dough.
- Cover and let it sit for 30-40 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.
- In a blender add garlic cloves, cashews, almonds, chopped curly kale leaves, parmesan cheese, olive oil and blend until you get a pesto of desired consistency.
- I have blended until it was almost smooth, but still had some crunchy texture.
- Kale pesto is now ready, transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat tablespoon of oil in pan. Add the sliced onions and saute till it becomes golden brown.
- Transfer the risen dough from step I to a well floured surface, and roll it to desired shape and thickness.
- Spread the kale pesto onto the rolled pizza dough, add mozzarella cheese, sauteed onion, tomato, green chile.
- Next drizzle about a table spoon of olive oil and add some grated Parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for about 13 minutes.
- Let the pizza rest for 4-5 minutes before serving.
- Pizza with awesome Kale pesto is now ready. Serve with glass of wine and enjoy.
- For the pesto, add nuts of your choice. Traditionally pine nuts are used in pesto, but cashews and almonds are good replacements.