Pav Bhaji Pizza is a delicious and flavorful fusion recipe, where a spicy and irresistibly delicious masala (sauce) is spread on fresh homemade pizza dough and topped with cheese and your favorite toppings.
*One of my first blog post updated with new pictures and content*
Have you ever tried adding pav bhaji on a pizza base? If not, I would highly recommend that you try this out. You will totally fall in love with the recipe. I am a big fan of pav bhaji, cheese and pizza and so is my family. When you combine all of them in single recipe, it's a feast. Today, I had some leftover pizza dough and I ended up making this for dinner.
I am sure if you ask any person from India, what food do they miss when living in another country, the answer would be street food or chats. Among chats and street food, pav bhaji is very popular.
I love making pizza dough at home, and I always prepare a little extra and freeze/refrigerate it so that we can use it for quick lunch or dinner on busy days. Very basic pizza dough is prepared using yeast, flour, salt and water. If you are scared of preparing a yeast dough or you are short of time, you can still make this pizza using store bought pizza dough.
My bhaji recipe is as simple as possible with very basic spices. pav bhaji is here. Only thing that I have changed here is that I have not added any water to the curry at step II. This ensures your pizza won't be soggy.Complete step of how to make
For the toppings, I have used fresh mozzarella cheese, red onions, coriander leaves / cilantro. The pizza crust, bhaji and fresh mozzarella itself tastes so good that you really don't need any extra toppings. But, always feel free to add your favorite ones and personalize it. Some other toppings that will go well are capsicum (bell pepper) and mushroom.
The recipe below serves a large 16 inch pizza. After preparing pizza, if you have any left over pav bhaji you can serve it with warm and if you have pizza dough remaining you can make coin margherita pizza or bread twists which I will share soon. Basically, what I want to let you know is that, do not worry about left overs because you can always build on recipes 🙂
What are you waiting for? Go ahead and prepare this right now and let me know how it turned out 🙂
Pav Bhaji Pizza
For the dough
- 1 ½ cup Warm Water
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 packet Active dry yeast (2 ½ tsp)
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
For Sauce and Toppings
- Pav Bhaji (check link in Instruction, step II)
- 4 oz Fresh Mozzarella
- 4 strands Cilantro / Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- 1 medium Red onions chopped (for garnish)
- In a bowl with warm water, add sugar and stir.
- Sprinkle the yeast and cover it for 5 to 10 minutes or until yeast is activated.
- Now add salt, flour little by little, and knead it until you get a smooth elastic dough. You may have to vary the amount of flour depending on the weather condition.
- Brush the bowl with olive oil. Transfer the dough. Cover and let it sit for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degree F.
- Transfer the risen dough from step I to a well floured surface, and roll it to desired shape and thickness. I have rolled it into a 16 inch pizza. Now transfer the rolled-out dough onto a baking sheet.
- Evenly spread the pav bhaji on top of the base. Add dollops of fresh mozzarella cheese. Top it with some cilantro (coriander leaves).
- Bake pizza for about 15 to 20 minutes or until done. Garnish it with some red onions and some more coriander leaves.
- Pav Bhaji Pizza is now ready. Serve and enjoy.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***