I always like to prepare recipes with variations when serving it with flat breads or rice. The recipe below is prepared using simple ingredients and has a unique flavor which makes it finger licking and irresistible. This dish will be loved by people of all age groups. I have served it with oats chapati and this combination is definitely worth a try.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3
Ingredients for Onion Capsicum Masala
Big Onion chopped - 1
Capsicum chopped - 1
Garlic cloves chopped - 2
Green chilies chopped - 2
Ginger grated - 1 inch
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Cashews - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida / Hing - ¼ tsp
Tomato Ketchup - 3 tbsp
Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
Red chile powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Vegetable oil - 1 ½ tbsp
Steps to prepare Onion Capsicum Masala
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, cashews and hing and saute till cashews become light golden in color.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic, green chilies and saute till onion becomes translucent for about 6 to 8 minutes. You can add salt while sauteing the onion, as this makes it cook faster,
- Now add tomato ketchup, garam masala, red chile powder and mix well.
- Add the finely chopped capsicum, water for desired consistency, salt to taste and cook for about 5 minutes till the capsicum is cooked.
- Onion Capsicum Masala is now ready. Serve hot with oats chapati and enjoy.
- You can substitute tomato ketchup with the fresh tomatoes. The taste may vary accordingly.
- You can deseed the green chilies to reduce the heat.
- You can also add one potato in the recipe if desired.
- I have used 1 big capsicum(green bell pepper) and onion in my recipe. Depending on the amount of the onion and capsicum used, adjust the spices as per your taste.