Tofu Bhurji / Paneer Bhurji is a quick, healthy, vegan and delicious recipe prepared using tofu or paneer, onion, tomatoes and spices. This can be served alone for lunch / breakfast / dinner or with any bread varieties. I have served this with Thai roti bread. This combination is truly yummy one.
In India Egg bhurji is very popular and prepared using scrambled egg and for vegetarian version egg is substituted with paneer (cottage cheese). I love trying out different recipes with tofu because its my family's favorite and ended up doing this tasty and colorful tofu bhurji.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Serves : 2
Ingredients for Tofu Bhurji
Tofu / Paneer - 9 oz
Onion - 1
Green chilli - 2
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic cloves - 3
Tomatoes - 1
Capsicum - ½
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Red chilli powder - ½ teaspoon to 1 tsp
Frozen Green peas - ¼ cup
Asafoetida / Hing - ¼ tsp
Lemon juice- 1 tsp
Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp
Steps to prepare Tofu Bhurji
- Using food processor or knife finely chop onion, green chilli, ginger, garlic cloves, capsicum and tomatoes.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Heat oil in non stick pan. add cumin seeds, turmeric powder and hing and saute for few seconds.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, green chilli, ginger, salt to taste and saute till onion becomes light in color for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add the capsicum, green peas and the tomatoes and saute till tomatoes become soft.
- Add the red chilli powder as per your taste and mix well.
- Now add the tofu and lemon juice and saute it for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Tofu Bhurji is now ready. Serve it hot with any bread or Thai Roti bread and enjoy.
- You can garnish it with coriander leaves and spring onion and also sprinkle some garam masala powder.
- I have used extra firm tofu in my recipe. You can also scramble the tofu if you like.