Potato Smileys are crispy, irresistibly delicious and joyful snack prepared using only 3 ingredients. This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
We love having a crispy sides along with a cup of tea once my husband returns back from his office. Generally we try to eat something healthy, but occasionally we do indulge in deep fried snacks. This time during my trip to India, I spend most of my time with my niece and had a lot of fun with her. Recently when I was checking some of her videos and photos, I recollected how much she enjoyed eating these potato smiles that her mother had prepared. She was not only eating but also making her own shapes while my sister was preparing these for her. Personally I had never tried making them at home, but all these memories inspired me to make a batch of these fries, which I am sharing with all of you today.
I really enjoyed making it and when my husband was back home he was surprised and so happy to see these. He loved every bite of it but felt bad only because he could not have fun making these smileys.
If you have leftover mashed potatoes then this is the best recipe you can try. I have kept the recipe very simple. You can add in any herbs, spices, or cheese to the dough. To make it gluten free and more crispy, I have added rice flour. You can use all purpose flour, corn starch or even bread crumbs in the recipe.
While you are here, do check out the recipes for other tea time snacks - spicy butter biscuits, banana chips, crispy potato fritters, loaded baked potatoes in hot sauce, tandoori baby potatoes, and many other recipes from similar category.
Serves : 5
Ingredients for Potato Smileys
Potatoes - 3
Rice flour - ¼ cup
Salt - 1 teaspoon (as per taste)
Vegetable oil - for frying
Steps to prepare Potato Smileys
- Peel the skin of potatoes, cut them into cubes and was them.
- Cook the potatoes in any way desired. I have just sprinkled water, covered with lid and microwaved the potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can cook potato cubes in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes or pressure cook it for 2 whistles.
- Mash the potato cubes. Add rice flour little by little, salt and mix well to form a soft dough. Check more on the tip section.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap on working surface. You can either sprinkle some flour or grease with oil. I have greased it with oil as I find it much easier.
- Place half of the dough on it and now place another parchment paper or plastic sheet on top.
- Using rolling pin, roll it to desired thickness about ¼ inch thick. If you want it crispier, roll it thin.
- Using round cutter cut them into circles.
- Use straw and spoon to make eyes and lips.
- Heat oil in pan for frying on a medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, drop few smiles and fry them till they become golden and crispy on both the sides by flipping them once or twice. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Using slotted spoon transfer them to paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Repeat the process for remaining smiles.
- Potato Smileys are now ready. Serve with tomato ketchup and enjoy.
- Flour is used mainly for binding. depending on the size of potatoes you may have to add the flour. If it becomes dry it may break during rolling. In this case to work smoothly grease your parchment paper with oil.
- Do not overcrowd the pan. This will not make your smiles cripsy.
- See that the frying pan is filled half way through with oil. I have used a 9 inch deep pan.
- Use any herbs, spices, or cheese of your choice.
- You can use all purpose flour, corn starch instead of rice flour.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***