Potato Stir Fry is a quick and easy, tasty potato recipe that can be prepared on regular basis as a side dish.
This is a healthier version of french fries. Potato stir fry can be served as side with rice and dal or even with Indian breads. This is known as batate bhajun upkari in konkani. Batate means potato and bhajun upkari means stir fry. This is prepared in less than 20 minutes and is loved by people of all age group. Konkani stir fries are always easy to make, the tempering is same for all the recipes, only the vegetables you add changes 🙂
After a long vacation, first thing my family loves to have at home is rice, dalithoy and batate upkari or peja (rice cooked with starchy water) and batate bhajun upkari. I always make a little extra than required as I love potatoes very much and start eating it even during the cooking process. Do try out this recipe and serve along with any of these dals garlic dal, meere dalithoy, dalithoy.
The crunchiness of the tempering combined with the aroma of asafoetida or hing makes this dish irresistible. Asafoetida also cuts down any gastric issues caused by potato consumption.
There is another variation to this recipe where the chile powder is added and it is called teek batate bhajun upkari. Today I have prepared a no onion no garlic version so that you can serve it even on fasting days. I sometimes even add onion and garlic to the recipe and saute till it becomes golden brown, which enhances the flavor of this dish.
Preparation time : 25 minutes
Serves : 3
Ingredients for Potato Stir Fry
Potatoes - 3
Vegetable oil - 1 ½ tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 6
Dried red chilies - 2
Asafoetida / Hing - ¼ tsp
Salt - to taste
Steps to prepare Potato Stir Fry
- Peel the skin of potatoes, chop them lengthwise or to any desired shape and wash them.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they start to splutter add asafoetida, urad dal and chana dal and saute till it becomes light golden in color.
- Now add the curry leaves and dry red chilies and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, salt to taste. Just sprinkle some water.
- Cover with the lid and cook on medium flame for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked, stirring them occasionally.
- Potato Stir Fry is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- If you want the potatoes to be crispy, then cook it for additional 5 to 10 minutes without the lid and increase the amount of oil.